Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sonic Diffrence between Eden and SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 23, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

In NY we dont see to many Edens so how would you say they compare sonicly and quality wise.

2. SWR = big bottom, light mids, big highs
    Eden= medium bottom, big mids, light highs

Together they produce a full range, at least that's how it sounds to me. I have been using an Eden D210XLT with an SWR Goliath III together for the last year - they sound better together than either one on its own IMO.

-Edit: The above comment was referring to cabinets.

There is not a bigdifference in the amps in my opinion, other than clearer highs in the SWR's.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  4. It would help if you were more specific!

Are you asking about amplifiers, cabinets, or both?

My general impressions of Eden vs. SWR amplifiers are:

To my ears the SWR stuff sounds clear and thin, while the Edens are warm and fat. Eden is warmer and smoother with a fatter, fuller low end, while the SWRs have more clarity and definition. I like both, but the warmth and fullness of the Eden seems more suited to my playing style, as I think that bass is mostly about powerful bottom, not hi-fi top end.

I had a hard time using a loaner Grand Prix while my WT-500 was in the shop, as the SWR preamp could not duplicate the fat bottom end of my Eden. As well, I found the Eden EQ section to be a lot more powerful and responsive than the SWR.

As for cabinets:

My general observation is that SWR cabinets tend to have more of a "hi-fi" top end to them, but are scooped in the middle frequencies. Eden's cabinets tend to be rounder sounding and have more abundant low mids, although the new XST series is supposed to be much flatter sounding.

Quality wise, both should be similar.

5. MAJOR METAL

I am interested how an Eden combo would par against a SWR Redhead on the bottom end and which would bring the acoustic propiertys out of a semi hollow more.

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    :rolleyes:

7. Err, you completely misquoted him. He separated that comment with a specification that that is what he likes/dislikes about the heads, as well as commenting about the cabinets.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I've played extensively through both an SWR SM-500 and an Eden WT-400 and the SWR=clear, hi-fi and Eden=warm with lots of low mids characterization is generally correct when both amps are set to flat.

That said, the Eden brightens up considerably and can produce painfully sparkly highs if you play with the EQ. The SM, IME, is harder to warm up. If you want vintage thumpy tones, the Eden is the better choice.

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Whats your source? Is it bias?
    :smug:
    ~Patrick

10. I have been playing SWR for 2 years now...pretty much it is a hi fi sound, It's good, just not what I'm looking for...I'm hoping to get an Eden Navigator soon

11. If you are talking about the Eden Metro compared to the SWR Redhead, expect the Eden to have more low mids and a fuller overall tone. The Redhead will likely sound clearer, and more transparent. Which is better is subjective. What do you want to hear?

FYI, Bass Player magazine chose the D210XLT as the best standalone cabinet in their 2x10" shootout a few years back, and the Metro uses a version of this cabinet with a rack space added for the amplifier.

Really, your best bet is to look around and try each and listen for yourself!

12. MAJOR METAL

13. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    For what its worth SWR to me is very clean, not like EA, but in a Cold sort of way. I am talking about the heads here.
    Eden, the WT 800 to be specific, I have played through and it was loud as hell and WARM. Very clear but warmer. keep in mind I play through an SVT so pretty much everything is clear compared to that! :bassist: The SWR Superredhead is a fav of mine because it is clean but has some warmth as well.
    I have run a 15 off the redhead and get the same results.
    Keep the Funk ALive!!!! or in your case the Metal!!!!!

14. Hmmm... well, all I know is this:

When you pair an Eden WT600 head with an SWR GIII cabinet, you have a winning combination (according to me, and any bassist who has ever played through my rig, and any musician who has ever shared the stage with me.)

FWIW

:ninja:

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I use both.
    Dillema solved.

16. I'm a big fan of Eden (WT800 & Nav user) but I actually prefer the Redhead over the metro. Very nice combo amp. Not so with other SWR/Eden comparisons according to my tastes.

You might also consider an SWR strawberry blonde for a nice semi-hollow/acoustic tone.

17. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado

Me too. I like the sound of both brands and I think they really compliment each other.

18. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've owned a WT-300 and an SM-400. They're quite different amps.The SWR is clear, very low noise, and full sounding with a precise EQ. The Eden, indeed was fatter, but somewhat noisy and a somewhat quirky hyper-sensitive EQ. My own preference is for the SWR...I thought the Eden was a bit too dark for my tastes.

OTOH, I own both a Goliath II cab, and an Eden 210/15 stack. The Eden cabs seem a bit clearer than the SWR, a bit more focused. The GII is really thick sounding and produces almost the same amount of sound as the two Eden cabs combined. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Eden cabs for focus, but both are very nice.

19. odie

odie Supporting Member

I use Eden now but had a redhead for a bit.

For me the SWR was "weak" sounding. Thin and lacking in the thump bump dept. It was trasparent, which is good and bad. But "weak" is the best way I could describe it.

The Eden is alot more full and had a more substantial sound. To me has a beter eq and more tweakabilty. Some described it as hyper sensitive. But it is because it is much more powerful. A small knob turn goes along way. It is also semi-parametric.

20. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    I'm using a SWR Goliath Jr. 2x10" + Son Of Bertha 1x15" with a Hevos Tube-Preamp and QSC PLX1202 power amp, and I wouldn't describe my tone as "cold". It doesn't sound the way a sauna would feel like, but it's reasonably warm with transparent, sparkling highs. Nice midrange, too. I once played an Eden 210XLT and IMHO it sounded cheap and honky, Peavey's 210 seemed much smoother to me.
    Nevertheless, I like Eden's CXC-Series alot, FAST transient attack, less honky low-highs (how paradoxical!)

Johannes