1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sooo... I have Pre Septal Cellulitis...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by backline112, Oct 12, 2009.

1. backline112

backline112 Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    And it's ****ing disorienting.

I work at a grocery store's deli, slicing meat and cheese all day. Cleaning everything all day. Putting disgusting food in containers. Saying thank you when I don't feel thankful, and saying sorry when I'm not sorry. Waiting on b@#^%&$ who need some d!%$ and come to the store to get their frustrations out. And asian dudes who want their cheese CUBED. Idiots who come asking about produce and spices to the deli... Et Cetera.
    So at one time, I felt my hair itched my eye, so I scratched it, and moved my hair away. Couple hours later I felt my eye a little weird so checked it out and was kinda droopy. I got home and put some antihistamine in it (visine) and went to sleep. Next day, I couldn't open the ****ing eye.
    :meh::meh::meh::meh::meh::meh::meh::meh::meh::meh:

P.S: Don't buy foods that are manipulated by humans at the grocery store, e.g, cut out fruit, sliced meat and cheese, salads, meat... Unless it's boiling when they give it to you. The salads that we put out on display, run out in about 2 to 3 days, which means that they will last about 2 to 3 days more... Glove wearing is enforced, but even though we use gloves to manipulate everything, they are so feeble (can't find a common word) that they tear when we mix the salads and print stickers to put on cheese and meat bags... Sometimes when I go put the meat in the slicer, there are like 4 flies chilling in the slicer and run away when I come with the meat. I try to wipe the tables and slicers often, but customers keep coming and it's impossible to maintain everything spotless all the time. I don't eat anything from there, or anywhere really... Not anymore.

Ignorance is bliss.

Attached Files:

2. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    The sickest I ever got in my entire life was from eating some pre-sliced pineapple from Publix.

/I have learned my lesson.

3. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Ewwie

4. I am a neat freak and hate germs completely.

That being said, I whole-heartedly believe that there is some good to the small traces of garbage and poisons that we get in our food. If nothing else, it just strengthens our immune systems, and as long as it doesn't cause severe harm (which it usually doesn't), then I see no issue.

5. backline112

backline112 Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    Agree man. Though it's still disgusting to see the flies fly away when I come :D ... :(

6. Don't be a pussy. You have an immune system for a reason.

The only thing that did bug me was that I was about two-thirds finished with my Starbucks Frappucino the other month (The kind in the glass bottle with the wide mouth.) and this huge fly flew inside and started buzzing around inside for like 3 seconds trying to get back out.
    I had to throw the rest of the coffee away after that.

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Actually, I agree that very small exposure to germs is good for you. It's been shown in studies that animals who are raised in a sterile environment are actually quite unhealthy - their GI tract will be in a constant state of inflammation. Kids who are raised in clean freak homes tend to have higher rates of respiratory problems (allergies, etc.) than kids in a more normal setting. To go a little further, I've also read that kids raised in third world countries with heavy exposure to parasites tend to have a much lower rate of allergy problems than we do* in the developed world.

But there's a catch: blackline112 was diagnosed with cellulitis, which is a tissue infection. The antibodies produced from eating germs are of a different class than the antibodies we get from cuts/scrapes, so having eaten one type of bacteria doesn't prevent a skin infection.

blackline112: I don't know what the treatment plan for you is, but whatever they prescribed you, just make sure you follow the instructions and take the entire course. Cellulitis is no joke - untreated, it can be lethal. That goes especially for an infection on the face, because, well... you can amputate a severely infected foot, but you can't very well amputate someone's head :eek:

*The connection here is that the immune system has a specific type of antibody to deal with parasites (IgE), which is also responsible for allergies when you have too much of it. One of the theories being, if you don't 'train' your body to use IgE appropriately (by exposure to parasites), there's a higher chance you'll develop inappropriate allergies (such as to peanuts, and other harmless substances).

8. Wanna go on a diet? Wanna lose the desire for food altogether? Work in the food industry. Corporate, industrial nastiness. Sorry bout the cellulitis, dude- looks entirely unfun.

9. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    :eyebrow:

10. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    HAHAHA beat me to it.

11. Wow, I didn't even notice that.:help:

Well, I only drink them when they go on sale and I pick up a 4 pack.
    It's good coffee.

12. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas

:eyebrow:

i don't know where i was going with this one...

13. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I hope you have gone to the doctor or ER. If you have a fever, you must got the ER immediately. :eek:

14. Best. Advice. Ever.

ROFL. :D

15. backline112

backline112 Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    +1. Search for Animal Rendering.

If only you guys knew... Once they found maggots under the slicers because the lazy ass idiots who worked there before didn't clean them properly.
    One time, a lady came in and said she wanted some X ham. So I go get it and she noticed the "Best Before" date had passed. She didn't want it anymore, and left. I go talk to the manager about it:
    -Hey Manager, I'll have to throw that ham away because it's past the due date. I just wanted you to know.
    -WHAT!? No no no no no, that's just, the inventory date. Just put another sticker on it and put it out
    (on display.)
    She's in charge of making numbers and making sure we don't loose money she spent on buying the meats and stuff. So when the wings start looking crispy, we are ordered to just cover them in sauce. And by the end of the day, put them in tin foil containers and wrap them for her to sell the next day on another display. Same with paninis. And the chicken.

See, I completely agree with the "Gotta eat '****' to be immune to it" thought, it's logical. But there's still a borderline between "It can be good for your immune system defenses" and "It can decrease your immune system defenses" (for me, in my opinion, in my experience, etc...)

Ok. Gotta go to the second doc appointment.

16. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    If you didn't already mention it, make sure your doctor is aware of your job conditions, and what type of foods you handle. Most of the time cellulitis is caused by bacteria normally found on the skin surface that enter through a cut or scrape. However, other bacteria which may require different antibiotics can cause infections, especially for people who work with raw meat. Some of the shady practices you mention also increase my suspicion that you may be dealing with something food related. With cellulitis, you always have to consider whether the bacteria came from the surface of your skin, or another source that was rubbed in.