Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sorry- another gear question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bardolph, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the GK 400RB 2x10 combo and pair it up with another cabinet. My question is, would paring the 280 watt head with the 150 watt internal speakers and an additional 400 watt 4x10 cabinet be inefficient for the 4x10 since it will not recieve near as much power as it is rated for? I've heard speakers sound better when they are driven hard. Should I go for an extension cabinet with less rated power? Say 200 or 300 watts???

One other thing-
    The 400RB by itself is 150 watts to its internal speakers. Using it without an extension, would I really notice any difference in volume from my current 125 watt backline 115?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Sorry mate, i helped you in the other thread, but i just do not know how to solve THIS problem..;)

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Probably the best solution is to get the matching GK 2x10" extension cab. Also the 400RB is a better amp than the Backline series, I'm sure you'll notice a difference.

4. 1/ Speaker power ratings. The 400 watts of the extension cab that you mentioned, is the RMS power ( Root Mean Square, means similar to "average" I think ) that the speakers should safely be able to handle without overheating damage. That doesn't mean that you have to put that much power into them in order to have them working properly. If they are reasonably efficient speakers, they should give you good tone and volume without distortion. I used a 250 watt Labsystems amp ( Similar to GK 400 RB ) into an 8 Ohm 400 watt 4x10 Genz-Benz and an 8 Ohm 400 watt 1x15" EV for years without any problems at all. Great sound and plenty of volume. If you go with that amp, try it through a few different extension cab combinations before you commit to anything, and see what you think sounds right.

The 400RB is a superior amp. It might not be that much louder in your given scenario, but I daresay it would be a lot punchier and have a better tone. :)

5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have the RBH series 2x10 combo. It is the one that comes with the 1001 head. I want to keep the head, but I will sell the cab to you if you want it. It's in mint condition. Pick any of the RBH heads and load it in there. That way, if you don't want to take along the 4x10, you have a killer combo on wheels. You will get more speaker for the money that way.
    Wes

6. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Thanks for the offer but my dad owns a music store and I like supporting him by buying from him.... plus I get sweet discounts.

7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nothing wrong with that situation. That is a very good thing.
    Wes