Sorry, don't I know you from somewhere?

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Lord Henry, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Hello all,

A bit of background on me as a bassist: I played bass in a band for about a year, this was about seven years ago. Then, like so many others, I was lured away by six thin strings and the promice of playing "lead". Skip to the present and I back within the rightus land of the fat-string-slapping chosen ones. The band I play with needed a shake up and I'd fallen out of love with my lead/rhythm role so I took up the bass to free up the singer/bassist to be, well, a singer. And you know what? I love it. I really don't know why I ever stopped.

So, that was a couple of months ago. My playing's not bad, and getting better daily. I'm spending an hour or so day on practice, something that I hadn't done for years on the guitar. My pick playing, thanks to the guitar background, is currently much better than my right-hand plucking, but I'm working on that. The slapping I used to do has come right back, and I've just started to teach myself tapping from some great on-line lessons I've found. It's all feeling really good.

I learned classical music as a child (chello, violin, piano) so my theory is pretty good. Also, the guitar teacher I had for a few years was of the jazz/fusion bent, which also helped. What has become abundently from reading around TB is that I know next to nothing about the technical/gear side of the bass, and any help you guys can give me would be great. I'm currently playing am Ibanez Blaze Series which I've been working on for a while and finally have set up just the way I want it. The next thing I intend to do is string it with some DR Hi Beams. I love a really bright, attacking bass sound and, from what I'm reading, those are the strings to go for.

Just incase it matters I'm mid twenties and hail out of London in the UK.

Anyway, sorry this is such a long post, and hey again.