1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Soul or Jazz Funk

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stingray9, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Stingray9

Stingray9

Apr 11, 2014
    Are Tower of Power Jazz funk, or Soul Funk?

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would vote door #1, but does it really matter?

3. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    They're a tight "horn band" blessed with having the great Rocco Prestia on bass who keeps them in the pocket no matter whether they play Jazz-Funk or Soul-Funk or Country-Western Funk!
    40+ years of their groove; gotta hand it to 'em. Hall of Fame or else!!!

4. Stingray9

Stingray9

Apr 11, 2014
    Hell no! I matters not, they still groove like mofo's! haha. Its just I'm writing a dissertation talking about the sub-genres of Funk music and analysing bassists of the specific sub-genres. Just wanted to get some opinions on where TOP fall into :) Had to choose Rocco haha!

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    They defy classification as they are capable of whatever fonk they are called on to pull off. If there was a criteria like ability to play off charts as jazz funk and improve as soul funk, again it would be a real tough call. Maybe cite them as a prime example of both?

6. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    R&B.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Soul with a capital S.;)