Sound Cards - Two Needed For Basic Use?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by courderoy guy, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Hey all - I'm considering purchasing something like the M-Audio Delta 44 or 66 for recording band practices but have a basic question about how they work. The computer we'd be using for recording would also be the basic computer I use to get on the internet and do basic "computer" stuff. Not a big gamer, more of an old-school MAME guy and a few adventure games.

My question is: Would I need to have two sound cards plugged into my PCI slots? Does the Delta 44 or 66 work as a "basic" sound card in Windows for say playing back CD's, internet audio, etc. Or is it a standalone recorder that would be used in addition to my "regular" sound card?

2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Just the Delta should work just fine.
  3. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I'd say that the Delta would work fine, but you mentioned MAME specifically. Most emulators were written years ago, and certain games just wouldn't play music correctly on my recording setup (Layla 24). I popped my SB back in, and voila! problem solved. So when I play classic games, or the newest ones, I switch audio cards (using XP's control panel) and just switch back when I'm done. So far, no conflict problems.