Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sound Engineer/Bassist ?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Cook, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Cook

Cook

Apr 13, 2005
    North Texas
    This is my first posting cause I just joined up. I am seeking some advice from sound engineers and/or bassist concerning recording bass.

First of all, I have been running my own little project studio for a couple of years now and get occasional commercial work but primarily do my own stuff. I have this second hand intermediate Yamaha 4 string fretted Electric Bass w passive electronics (Don't know model) and record frequently using it just plugged directly into the board (Yamaha AW4416). When you take your fingers off the strings, there is a slight buzz. I am looking to get another bass in here and was wondering what to get. I mainly play keys and sax and only play bass (rudimentally) when no one else is here to do it. Since the music played in here is mostly in country/pop/jazz vein, I was looking at either a Fender American Jazz or a Yamaha Nathan East (or something else?). I just want a good quiet recording bass to have here in the studio.

Secondly, instead of always just recording direct, I was wondering if I picked up something like a Gallien-Krueger 700RB II (I think is has an XLR out) head to help shape the sound a little before going to the board. Also, I might be called to play a little live bass occasionally and thought the 700RB II with a speaker cabinet could pull double duty for that purpose.

Anyway, I am not very educated in when it comes to Bass Guitar matters and thought I would post to get some ideas from you more experienced players.

Thank you

Kevin

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I would imagine that your standard issue J-Bass would probobly suit you just fine. Though you do tend to see the "Pro" session players using fancy, active type basses, but for the money just get a nice J.

As far as Pre-amp or whatever for recording, you are going to find a lot of varied opions around here. Some people will swear by the Bass Pod for the kind of work you do. Others will say to simply buy a decent DI and run through the best Mic pre you have. You could also buy a decent combo amp and do a combination of DI and Mic. Basically there are a million different ways to do it. I would say start with the bass. Get the nicest bass you can afford, something that sounds good no matter what you plug it into. Then start figuring out your signal chain. 90% of the recordings I do I will rely heavily on the DI (Countryman Type 85) and then use a D112 or like mic on the cab for some amp characteristic. Though in a pinch I have simply plugged a crappy P-Bass knock off into a Neve 1272 (I think thats right) and tracked a great bass line for a folk type song. To what sounds good is good.

I don't know what kind of budget you have but here is (IMHO) a pretty slick set-up for what you want to do, and it would allow for the giging you may do.

Countryman Type 85 DI $ 200.00 or so I think.

Mesa Walkabout Scout Really can't remember how much these cost. Anywhere from $800 to 1200 I could imagine, for new.

AKG D112 Another 200 or so, get a used one.

All of those pieces are solid and the quality is not in question. It is a great place to start and you should be able to get great results. Of course I will probobly get flamed in about 2 seconds, but I know I could get good results with them :D

Good luck.

3. Cook

Cook

Apr 13, 2005
    North Texas
    Thanks Droog

Your suggestion looks perfect for what I'm doing here and what I had in mind. It looks smart, practical, and of good quality. I think I'll go for it.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Right on. Glad it was helpful. Be sure to write of your exploits :D