1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sound Post Qestion

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Walter Keaton, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Walter Keaton

Walter Keaton

Oct 22, 2006
    Staley NC
    I know this is probably a dumb question to some, but to me the only dumb question is the one that I did not ask when I did not know the answer.

From everything I have read, the sound post placement is very important. My question is, once in place, why can't it be glued in place? Thanks for any help.

Walter Keaton

2. GriffithLea

GriffithLea

Aug 29, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    IANAL (I am not a luthier) but to me the main reason is, don't do something if it isn't necessary, i.e. the KISS principle. One doesn't glue the bridge to the belly, either.

Then there are other things that come to mind, beside the point though they may be:

• The part of the soundpost you would glue is endgrain.
    • If a sound post falls, there was a good reason for it. Would you rather pull slivers of wood from the inside of your instrument's belly or back, should those two big pieces of wood decide to get a little farther apart than usual, because of changes in temperature or humidity, or a knock on the edge?
    • There is no one single place the soundpost should be. It is often moved around to make tonal adjustments. Think of its position as a parameter for the fine-tuning of the bass' sound.
    • What if a different bridge was installed, with a somewhat wider or narrower stance? You'd probably need a shorter or longer soundpost (and the accompanying fitment procedure).
    • You don't have a lot of time with hide glue before it sets, and if one were to insist on gluing the soundpost, he wouldn't want to use any other kind of glue. Imagine getting in almost in place just as the hide glue takes hold.
    • Suppose you did glue the soundpost - how would you get it loose for a repair (even if you did use hide glue)?

It's just wrong on so many levels! :D

3. Walter Keaton

Walter Keaton

Oct 22, 2006
    Staley NC
    Thanks, GriffithLea for the reply. Most everything you said makes good sense. I had never thought about it like that.

Walter Keaton

4. GriffithLea

GriffithLea

Aug 29, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    Whaddya mean, most? :D

5. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    Walter,

If it makes you feel any better I wondered the same thing, I just never got around to posting the question. I mean, if it's a problem when the darn thing falls out, just glue it in place. Or better yet, run a couple of drywalll screws into the ends from the front and back. That'll keep it in there.:D

6. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    I'm a little surprised that there haven't been more answers to your question.

As a bass maker I wouldn't glue the post in because I'd be afraid that doing so might crack the top or back as it changes with weather conditions.
    Also, you wouldn't be able to make adjustments to it.
    Thirdly, if it is well fitted, there would be no need anyway.
    And probably others, but I've been up since four am and can't think of any.