1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

soundcard- inputs

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by lefty, Jan 21, 2005.

1. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    my son and i are building a computer to record, and we are trying to find out what kind of soundcard to get. we want to be able to record live drums and have 8 low impedence mike inputs whats the deal? help please, thanx

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    It's always important to state your budget when making an inquiry like this. There are a few cards I know of with 8 mike preamps built into the breakout box, but I would first be looking at an outboard mixer or rack mounted 8 channel preamp for what you want to do. There are plenty of nice, relatively inexpensive 8 channel sound cards out there. The standard seems to be to include 2 mike preamps (at most), and usually the built in preamps are maybe roughly as good as those in a typical Mackie or Behringer mixer. Many of us use direct outs or the insert jacks to port the mike preamps in a mixer to the card.

Are we on the same page here? Do you have any specific card models in mind yet? What's your mike budget like? That'll set up a lot of your other decisions, I'd think.