Source Audio UltraWave ~ Catch the Wave

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassbrad, Mar 16, 2021.

1. The long awaited Source Audio UltraWave MultiBand Processor is officially out and being shipped so it seemed appropriate to start a thread. I have one on order from Sweetwater expected Friday so let the funn begin.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Everyone be sure to post your UltraWave! Beta is cool but man that green bass version looks nice.
    4C51A4EB-BAA4-4684-B5EE-37E4AE2D5148.jpeg

DJ Bebop, gh0st42, bassbrad and 2 others like this.
  3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    Wellington, NZ
    Impressive demo. Sounds great, warm and musical. The compressor commentary was very useful.

rsmith601, LSMFT6 and bassbrad like this.
  4. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Here's my Ultrawave Beta 98/100. Loving this pedal. I'm working my way through it's features. Currently getting my head around the differences between morphing in linked channels and blending two unlinked / separate channels.
    View attachment 4206331

2021-02-24-3.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  5. The added utility of the compression and EQ sections is ultimately what made my decision to dive in.

lomo, Correlli and GMC like this.
  6. @GMC your board is so much awesome packed into a compact package, your board is one of my favorites.

GMC likes this.
  7. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Me too...however the ultrawave distortion is a lot of fun. The tremolo and multiwave trem are a really nice bonus feature too. It's got a lot going on under the hood.

DirtyDuke, gh0st42 and rsmith601 like this.
  8. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    The user manual has been posted

DrMole, AlvarHanso, GMC and 2 others like this.
  9. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Thanks for the spot! The manual has clarified a lot for me. I now understand that the Env>Morph needs to be at the mid point / 12 noon to fully morph between 2 different distortion models. I'm getting more consistent results now.
    The knob assignment "default" is well documented too.
    I've also just realised that if I want to fade between a 1 - Band no split to a multi band...I can do that by balance fading between Ch 1 & Ch 2. That's really useful for creating a standard Overdrive that fades into a synth multwave distortion via the expression pedal. The expression would need to assign Balance as the Control Option. nice! I can see some of my patches getting some major re-works over the next few days!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  10. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    My first postings / clips on Soundcloud. Be gentle with me ;)

Signal path Fingers > Bass > C4 > Ultrawave > Lunar > EQ2 > Eventide H9 > Out

My 1st clip is my GMC MasterTronic III, which is the 3rd approximation of my Mastotron. It morphs between 2 different Distortion Types.
    my clean bass. Then I add the Gated Fuzz, then morph into the gated Overdrive Fuzz. Then I go back to clean but add an OC-2 Octaver from my C4. Then I add the Gated Fuzz from my Ultrawave, followed by morphing back again. I then add a Quad Chorus from my Luna.

My 2nd clip is GMC OD into Fuzz. It's an medium grit overdrive that morphs into a gated Fuzz (much like a Titan II on full chat). The clip starts with my clean bass. Then I add the OD, then morph into the Gated Diode Fuzz. Then I go back to clean but add an OC-2 Octaver from my C4. Then I add the Gated Fuzz from my Ultrawave. I then add a Quad Chorus from my Luna. I then pull the morph back to overdrive. I end on some self indulgent noodling with some added Quarter note delay and a bit of random Morphing.

I have a 3rd patch that I'm working on...a morph / balance blend between two different Band Split models. I'll post when it's ready.

I really need to source some drum patterns for me to play against!

11. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I had a multiwave back in the day, and gotta say using the hot hand to control drive got me some very grimey tones... This is highly appealing.

A few questions about Ultrawave-
    - Can the modulation source LFO get into ring mod territory or just the trem?
    - How slow can the custom AD LFO shape go and also is that trem or mod source?
    - Can drive/gain/morph be affected by multiple mod sources at once? Or, can you have a trem before the drive stage while also assigning mod sources to drive and/or morph?
    - Can you get phaser-y sounds by having the trem start from different points across the bands?

12. Arg I pretty much think the sounds from the demo plus the end of the Soundcloud have the synth noises I think of in my head compared to my sy1! I’ll have to see how much this will be in aus, hoping not too much...

13. 550 aus... ouch... going to have to put this one one the Wishlist :(

14. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    I think we aren't ever going to get a definitive "mastotron" patch from the ultrawave. But I think a lot of Mastotron-esque / variations / similar sounds that get us into the ball park of that type of sound. I'm fine with this because the Ultrawave wasn't envisioned as a dirt cloning tool...but a tool to find and discover entirely new pallet of sounds. Some of the synthy sounds are pretty wild! I've just got to find some new context for those. The vast Trem options open up a lot of interesting sounds too. The Patch [Bleep Blip] by nikopappas is a great non distortion example of this. I can act almost like a unique type of sequencer / Chopper / Slicer effect. I think the Ultrawave is a pedal that lends itself as a modifier to other sounds, Sitting underneath or on top of other pedals. I loving feeding the output of my C4 into the Ultrawave and then using the Ultrawave's input high pass filter to control how much super lows pass through (like a Subby OC-2). I'm also enjoying having an Aftershock before the Ultrawave too. But having a Mod pedal after is just so so sweet. The Ultrawave can generate highs and rich harmonics that feed into modulation so well. If you want some super wide and intricate and interesting sound scape noise, feed it and octaver, feed the output into a Quad Chorus and then feed this lot into some delays and heavy verbs (the H9 tends to own this...however the Collider holds some serious respect in this context too) and it's certainly easy to find a three note sound track ensemble.

johnk_10 and rsmith601 like this.
  15. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Chairman, Source Audio
    You could look for a used Multiwave Distortion as an alternative in the meantime?

baSfo, jasonmitsch, GMC and 1 other person like this.
  16. Gibs210

Gibs210 Commercial User

Aug 31, 2019
    Part time Tech Support for Source Audio effects
    A few questions about Ultrawave-
    - Can the modulation source LFO get into ring mod territory or just the trem?

Yes, there’s a button to turn on ring mod under the tremolo section

- How slow can the custom AD LFO shape go and also is that trem or mod source?

Not sure, haven’t really messed with slow speeds on ultrawave

- Can drive/gain/morph be affected by multiple mod sources at once? Or, can you have a trem before the drive stage while also assigning mod sources to drive and/or morph?

Yes, there’s a mix control for envelope and lfo control of morphing.

- Can you get phaser-y sounds by having the trem start from different points across the bands?

Sort of, the multiband trem gets pretty crazy sounds. I wouldn’t call it a phaser, at least not the traditional type anyway.

gh0st42, GMC and Swimming Bird like this.
  17. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    My latest patch is up, it's called GMC Blender 4 Fuzz. Sound clip some time over the weekend.
    For all us morphing control freaks...if morphing between 2 different distortion models wasn't enough...This patch allows Channel morphing between the 2 channels. What so great about that...you might ask...well it allows morphing 4 ways. Left right channels and the regular "in channel" morphing. I've mapped the balance between Ch 1 and Ch 2 to the Expression pedal. Morph Ch1 is the Sustain / Mix knob and Morph Ch2 is the Treble knob. The great thing about Channel Blending is that it allows the transition between Band splits, not just the Distortion type. It's even more powerful than the regular morphing concept. You can blend fully Ch1 into 50:50 then into fully Ch2 via the expression pedal.
    It's a concept that can easily be expended or re-utilised. One could have compressor off on one channel, but compression on on the other. The blend would bring in the compressor. This could work for any number of settings.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    LSMFT6 likes this.
  18. Faaak! My package from Sweetwater arrived with a faaking bass drum beater instead of the Bass Ultrawave
    Feeling my full Charlie Brown coming on..... AAUGH!!
    but I did get my new custom studio computer delivered a week early today so I have that to set up and keep me busy ...
    but still...

Charliebrown-1-.jpg

lomo and GMC like this.
  19. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    I was messing around with my ultrawave last night and I realized how much I missed the multiwave distortion I unloaded a few years ago. But this pedal can do so much more. Well done Source Audio and the community who have provided the sounds!
    Can someone explain to me the deal with the ultrawave and Hub? Not sure if I understand what gets saved in a scene and what doesn't....