1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Source for blue abalone pickguard material?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TimBosby, Apr 11, 2018.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    So I'm thinking of changing the pickguard on my Drake reverse double P. Right now it's black bakelite, which is cool:
    Drake Double P.jpg
    While I love the black bakelite guard I was thinking of maybe changing it. Recently I had a Squier/Warmoth P-bass (now sold) that had the sweetest blue abalone pickguard and looked amazing with the color of the bass. Here's a picture:
    20180214_195148.jpg
    Granted the P has a butterscotch finish over maple, more yellow hued than clear over ash like the double P but I still think that same color guard may look great. Especially considering that the blue abalone has a lot of flecks of gold in it which would kind of match the gold MOP fingerboard inlays on my Drake double reverse P.

Anyway, that particular blue abalone guard came from Chandler. It was ordered by a previous owner but I've worked with Chandler several times before and they do nice work. So I checked with Chandler and they are out of that material...permanently. They literally had one sheet left a month ago and now they're out.

So now I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could get similar blue abalone material. I want it to be blue, not the more common black abalone. I had the same color pickguard on a fretless EBMM Bongo briefly...
    bongobongo4~2.jpg
    So we know the folks in San Luis Obispo have access to blue abalone pickguard material. How to get my hands on it: I know not.

Thoughts? Opinions? Leads?

2. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Maybe WD? Although theirs looks a bit different.

3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I've bought a precut (precision) guard and a blank in WD's black abalone for sonic blue basses. It's a wonderful combination! I don't know if they offer a blue...

2bZSOin.jpg

4. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    That actually DOES look kind of close to blue, although dark blue.

I guess it's subjective but I suppose what I'd like to avoid is black pearloid. What I DO want = multicolored flecks like yours has.

5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I will probably see if I can get a sheet from WD. Any other suppliers?

6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Check Pickguardian

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021