1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sovtek Big Muff (bubble font v3)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OsmosisPike, Jul 31, 2016.

1. OsmosisPike

OsmosisPike

Sep 4, 2015
    Hi,

First time poster, long time lurker!

I just bought a Sovtek Big Muff, almost mint condition in box, but one thing seems kind of "off": the knob for distortion goes from 10 o'clock to 3 o'clock, where the 10'clock is max, i.e. upside down.

This strikes me as not intuitive, and was wondering if this is normal for all the Sovtek Big Muffs?

Could of course just open her up and flip the potmeters, but don't think I'm gonna tinker too much with it. ;)

2. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Can you clarify: Does gain increase if you turn the knob clockwise or counter clockwise?

3. Azure Skies

Azure Skies Commercial User

Mar 21, 2012
    Toronto
    Importer/Exporter Broughton Audio
    I think your knob is just facing the wrong way. Pull it off, rotate the pot to the minimum setting, and then push the knob back on pointing at about 7 o'clock (use the other knobs at minimum setting for reference).

4. OsmosisPike

OsmosisPike

Sep 4, 2015
    It's upside down, so it increases if I turn it clockwise.

5. OsmosisPike

OsmosisPike

Sep 4, 2015
    Don't know if it will help to take off the knob, will still have to increase the distortion by going "backwards"?

6. Azure Skies

Mar 21, 2012
    Toronto
    That's normal. Clockwise is "more", no matter what direction the knob is facing. You just need to re-orient the knob.

7. OsmosisPike

OsmosisPike

Sep 4, 2015
    Ah, feel kind of stupid now: I see what you mean *slaps head*. Thanks for just reminding me on this hangover sunday! ;)

8. Azure Skies

Mar 21, 2012
    Toronto
    Don't feel stupid. You just needed to look at it upside down :)

9. OsmosisPike

OsmosisPike

Sep 4, 2015
    Haha, yeah! Thanks the quick help! ;)