Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spanish Caravan = Ripoff

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Completely! The Doors song... total ripoff, the guitar intro is a classical guitar piece that was not written by Robby. I use to be very impressed by that song, but now considering the first minute of it is a complete ripoff, I get a lot less enjoyment from it.

My old roomate had to learn that song for his guitar class, and he had never heard Spanish Caravan... I had never heard that guitar piece.... but it's the same thing.

Anyone know what the original song is called? It just bothers me because Rob gets so much credit for that song. Plus he insulted bass solos when his solos are horrible.

2. Hey, i like his solos! The solo to "The River Knows" is brilliant, pure hypnotism.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah well, that's just like... your opinion man.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh, SNAP!

brad cook

5. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey post no. 7,000, congratulations. Here I am registered a week after you with barely 300.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Isaac Albeniz's "Asturias." Believe it or not, it was originally composed for piano.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ah, thank you Chris

8. shine7on

shine7on

Jun 30, 2014

this is not a "rip-off" rather it's a nod to an obvious classical song musicians know; robby had to know that people who knew music were aware and if they weren't, well he was just fine with that too. Thing is all the white guys from that era did the same thing with black american blues. zeppelin, the stones, etc. so for robby to turn a classical guitar piece into a rock song is only par for the course. and honestly most bass solos do suck unless you are les claypool.

9. skydogg

skydogg

Dec 26, 2013
    It took us nearly a decade to get that sorted out. Well done!

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Well, modern bands have ripped off Manzarek and Kreiger, so it's all come full circle.

11. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Rock bands ripping off other peoples music......that is rock n' roll silly.

12. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Wasn't Robbie a flamenco player before he played in the Doors? I think that gives him a bit of leeway and since when have none of us heard familiar riffs in all kinds of music? Just enjoy the song.

13. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    How did this thread even get noticed after nine years of dormancy?

14. ^ That's a question in itself.