1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker buzz problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drang22, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Drang22

Drang22

Nov 16, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    So my 1 year old PF 210HE speaker cabinet started making a buzzing sound tonight at rehearsal. Most prominently on A -880 notes, but sometimes other notes, and definitely not most other notes. Was playing at low volume, and have never pushed this cabinet very hard, ever.
    I popped the top looking for something loose that might be rattling. When I held my palm against the magnet on one of the 10's, the buzzing would stop.
    Is there an easy fix for this? Professional repair, or replacement? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    If that's all it took to stop the buzzing, sounds like one of the screws came loose a bit. At least that's where I would start. Easy DIY.

Al Kraft and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    It could be the speaker, but I would first try tightening the Speaker mounting screws/bolts. Your hand and its pressure changes things that are happening in a dynamic system. So unless it is an obvious loose part (like the magnet on the speaker), I would check for loose bracing and at places where any other parts join. Even wiring can buzz depending on how it is run and what note you are playing - which you may have moved or had your arm against when pressing on the speaker.

My only advice is to not jump immediately to the noise changing when you put pressure on the back of the speaker as a bad speaker, but let it guide where you look and what you tighten and perhaps re-position. I hope that helps and good luck!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  4. Drang22

Drang22

Nov 16, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    Stumbo, are you talking about the screws that mount the speaker to the cabinet?

Al Kraft likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Among the others. I'd check them first, though.

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes check the fasteners first as others have said.

Seasonal changes can cause fasteners to loosen. If it’s drier where you live, something loose is a possibility. Do not over tighten speaker mounting fasteners as this can compress the gasket on the speaker too much and cause warping.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If it's under warranty, talk to the service center.
    Careful on over-tightening screws from seasonal wood movement.
    Air is dry in the winter and wood tends to shrink. If you over tighten then you won't leave room for expansion when humidity rises again. You can end up with a screw that just never tightens. You'll have add some filler then.