1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker Cab ratings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slap5string, Jan 23, 2012.

1. First of all - I'm a huge GK fan. I have (2) SBX410 cabs that are in storage due to a speaker issue in one of them. It appears the wire lead that goes through the cone to the voice coil has come "loose" and makes a buzzing sound. GK doesn't make these speakers anymore so I moved onto a Mesa PH610. My question is this: The SBX cabs are rated at 400w each. My 700rbII is rated at 540w @4ohms. If I run 2 of these cabs, is there any danger with frying the speakers? I play speed metal with a five string and am wondering if 400w cabs will be able to handle this current setup.:meh:

2. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Well, I don't know if your setup can handle the speed metal, the rappid succession of notes will make the voice coils burn out faster....16th notes at 140 beats per minute will be the max. :bag:

3. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    What impedance (ohm rating) are the SBX410 cabs? if they are 8ohms and you wire them parallel, the amp will send 270 watts to each cabinet. So it should be no problem.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    What? :eyebrow:

5. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    I was just jokin' man! :D

6. What's the best tempo for metal?

7. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Would it be possible to fix the loose wire with a dab of hot glue or something? As long the voice coil isnt open,shorted, or binding, it should be a simple matter to repair it. IMO.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You should be alright, but be aware, ANY amp is capable of blowing ANY speaker cab. Wattage ratings aside, it's more to do with the mechanical limitations of the speakers, (which is NOT rated), and how much low end you dial in with the amps eq. Use your ears is the best advice you'll get.

9. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    True, only a few watts and the right signal can rip the leads off a woofers voicecoil. But it is pretty rare that something like this happens, most woofers are constructed in such a way that the leads will never be under such a tension that they are going to be ripped off (only some older designs I know of)

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If that's the only problem, yeah, he could re-glue it. Use superglue gel. Hot melt could....well....melt. :p

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    On second thought, may want to maintain some flexibility there so your repair doesn't crack or shatter things further. Can use RTV automotive silicone gasket maker stuff there. It'll stay rubbery and withstand high temp.

12. yea, I was thinking about repairing it myself also, but didn't know if it was worth the trouble if the cabs can't handle the abuse. They are both 8ohms and I'm using the recommended GK speakon cables. The cone isn't damaged and the wire lead is still intact. The adhesive has come un-done and is rubbing on the wire lead creating a scratchy sound. If the cabs will only be getting 280w each from the amp - I would think all would be fine. NO?

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    They'll work fine, should be a cheap, DIY glue fix.

14. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Yah... Hi-temp RTV silicone. Permatex makes a suitable product.