1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker Cabinet Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SloworNotAtAll, Jun 20, 2007.

1. SloworNotAtAll

SloworNotAtAll

Apr 15, 2007
    I have an Ampeg 610 Classic.

If I were to replace the stock speakers with Weber 8ohm/ 20 watt speakers, how would I determine the final impedence/wattage??

I know it has to do with wiring parallel or in series, but I'm confused. Help??:help:

2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    #1 Why? (I'm not trying to be snippy, just curious)

#2 Do you know the impedance of the stock speakers?

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Total wattage is the sum of the six speakers' individual wattage (assuming they're correctly wired for equal power distribution). This will therefore be a miserable 120W. As important is the excursion limited power handling which is probably equally poor.

Depending on your combination of series/parallel wiring the nominal impedance could be 48 ohms, 12 ohms, 5.3 ohms or 1.3 ohms.

Why do you want to do this?!!

Alex

4. SloworNotAtAll

SloworNotAtAll

Apr 15, 2007
    relax relax relax.
    I just wanted figure out how the numbers added up, so I picked the first speaker that I knew the ohmage and wattage of.
    I am planning on swapping out the speakers in my cab. I think the structure of the 610 is quite punchy I just really want a crisper/sharper sound from the speakers.
    Im shopping around. Any suggestions?

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Mine gets plenty sharp/crisp. Is your tweeter working?

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Doing that is a matter of comparing the frequency response of the drivers you have now with that of other drivers that have suitable T/S specs for the cabinet. Finding out the frequency response and T/S specs of your current drivers will be the challenge.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021