Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker.Mate??????????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
  2. What's the buzz? What does it say it does?

3. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Looks like it can have multiple cabs connect to it without lowering the ohm load too much?

I dunno.

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I WANT ONE!

what is the price, it doesn't say.

5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Hell, when I get my paycheck i'm picking one up.

6. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    I wouldnt mind having one myself.

Nice find AJ!

7. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Maybe I missed something, but it seems to be *just* a patch box. All or almost all the combinations are the standard ones you would get just from connecting the various speakers in series or parallel.

Most of the practical examples can be duplicated by using available jacks on amps (parallel connections). 4 or 5 speakers is getting ridiculous.

The series examples are better done by a patch box, but anyone with a soldering iron, some jacks and some wire can make a custom setup for their particular speakers. One that cannot be mis-connected and is unlikley to fail. And if it does, you know how to fix it.

To each their own.

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    notanaggie

Could you explain to me how to hook up 2 8ohm cabs and a four ohm so the load is four ohms?

Whats a Patch Box?

Aj

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'd actually like to have something like this for our PA system, especially for our monitors - now I don't have to search for 16 ohm cabs!

I think I may pick one of these up.

10. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The Speakermate is priceless little gadget. It lets you hook up multiple cabinets at lower total loads than an amplifier would typically look for. It's great if you have, for instance, two four ohm cabinets that you want to hook up to an amp that looks for a minimum of 4 ohms. This allows you to essentially change the load that the amp sees and use your two 4 ohm cabs together. The model six (the one that we carry) gives you alot of very usable options in terms of the number of cabs you can use. Plus, it's so inexpensive that it's one of those things that you should just have in your gig bag. It's saved my butt a few times on gigs.

11. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I'm not "notanagie", but with a 4 and an 8 in series, and the other 8 in parallel with them, you get a bit over 4 ohms.

The Speakermate folks claim 5.7 ohms for that connection, and don't claim the "equalized power" for that connection either. (from the "instructions").

The boxes are so small that there can't be anything significant in them in the way of matching transformers etc. Maybe there is a "ballast" resistor in there to pad out some connections to useful impedances.

I agree they are clever, and probably a good thing if you have to do many odd setups at lower powers.

But the Speakermate is not magic.

To me, "notanagie" is right, they do look like a "patch box", which I assume would be just a bunch of jacks that you can interconnect various ways with "patch cables" or wires.

If you use the same speaker combinations all the time, a hard-wired version would not be open to as many possible mistakes with "switch A" and "jack B", etc as a "one size fits all" box.

12. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I want to hoo up my 2 berg 112's and a Four ohm cab or (2) 8 ohm cabs and a single 4 ohm cab.

How would I do that?

Aj

13. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    See prior reply......

14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Cool............My Bad,I didnt read it well enough.

AJ

15. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    i have been trying to figure out a way to add speakers to my Ampeg 100R. Id like a little more than the one 15". maybe this is the way to go.
    or maybe a cheap head for a second cab? Would the ampeg be strained to push the 15" and, say, two 10s?

16. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I just noticed it's $89 Canadian. That's different!

17. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It isn't the size of the speaker that strains the amp, its the impedance and the power you need to use.

If you can present the amp with the proper impedance. it is ready to go to the limit of its power, no matter what speaker(s) are connected to get that impedance.

18. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Well, does the 100R have enough power in this example and would you reommend getting the speaker.mate to do it?