Speaker material question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sonorous, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    So there are all kinds of materials that speaker cones can be made out of. There are also all kinds of magnets and sizes that can be used to make a speaker.

Does anyone have a good site that explains all the things these variable affect? Or if not, is there anyone that knows and can tell me?
  2. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

Oops, I mean bump.
  3. Good question, and there are other variables like the type of surround, cast vs. pressed baskets, etc.

I've learned a few things over the years, but don't know of an online resource that discusses things thoroughly.

4. Dont forget enclosure materials and design. a cheap woofer in a well-designed enclosure will smoke an exotic driver in a cheap enclosure.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Go to www.webervst.com, read the FAQ and other relevant pages, and then talk to Ted Weber himself, for starters. I used to work with a reconer in my shop, and all I can say is that serious voodoo is involved in driver design and construction. :cool:
  6. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Anyone have more information?
  7. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Wanna see something interesting in the way of speaker construction? Check out www.abrown.com and www.tonetubby.com. The two sites are related so look at both of them.
  8. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Nobody has really answered my question.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's because no-one here makes speakers. Who knows for sure what the answer to your questions is? I'm not having a go at you because I too am curious, but if no-one knows, getting snarky isn't going to make the answer magically pop into our heads.
  10. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just stating a fact. I appreciate when a person gives input, but I won't thank a person for something they did not do.

And I understand that nobody here makes speakers, but I don't think there are many people here that make strings, or Bartolini pickups, or Modulus basses... or a person's fingers. Regardless, they know how they characterize a sound.

The difference between roundwounds and flatwounds has been covered thoroughly, so why not the difference between paper cones or aluminum cones, or alnico magnets, ceramic, and neodymium?

Many people realize that a 2x15" is going to sound deeper than the punch of a 6x10. I'm just asking someone to expand on that a bit.
  11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Sonorous, the Weber site is one of the better ones. Ted is the MAN when it comes to speakers, he's probably one of the most knowledgeable (and helpful) people on the planet in that regard. For cabinet issues, search Google using "speaker construction", there is a wealth of information there. Here are a few interesting links for the speakers themselves:

http://www.diyspeakers.net (links and more links)

Also check out the books "Loudspeakers" - Vol. 1 thru 4 from the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Anthology Series.
  12. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX