1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker or Instrument Cable

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeb, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. Jeb


    Jul 22, 2001
    OK, you have two combo amps. You want to run both together.

    Combo1 output into Combo2 input

    What cable would you use here and why?
  2. csholtmeier


    Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I hope you're not talking speaker output! If equipped, combo 1 pre-amp out to combo 2 power amp in. Most likely 1/4 to 1/4, instrument cable will work fine.
  3. Jeb


    Jul 22, 2001
    I'm talking preamp out of combo1 into the standard input of combo2 (low gain, 'active', etc..., 1/4 to 1/4).

    I want to know what cable I would use and why.
  4. seanm

    seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

    Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Short answer: none. You want to slave one amp off the other and without knowing what amps they are I would not even hazzard a guess how to connect them. You don't want to connect the preamp out into the bass input of another amp unless you are going to play at really low volumes.
  5. hyperlitem

    hyperlitem Guest

    Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    safest answer: buy a $30 A/B/Y cable, run a guitar cable from your bass to the y box, then out the y box to the 2 amps, have fun, repeat.
  6. Eric Moesle

    Eric Moesle Supporting Member

    Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You don't want to do it this way. The standard input of the second combo isn't set up to accept that hot of a signal.

    This is a bad idea IMO, but if you're mind is set on doing it, get an A/B/Y switch.
  7. Petebass


    Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You could also go out the "line out" of one combo and feed the unamplified signal into the input of the second combo. Whatever you do, don't try and pass an amplified signal into another amp.
  8. pkr2


    Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.


    To answer your question, Use unshielded cable to go from power amp to speaker cab. Use shielded instrument cable if it carries a signal to the amp. The instrument cable would be your choice.

    What you are doing could be a little risky. Make sure the volume is turned all the way down when you power it up. You could get a blast of sound that can destroy speakers with the wrong control settings.

    Good luck, Harrell S.
  9. dmielke


    Mar 25, 2004
    If your amps have it, run preamp or effects loop out on one amp to the effects loop in on the other amp.
  10. Jeb


    Jul 22, 2001
    Sigh. Running a pre-amp out signal to a "low gain" or "active" input is certainly safe - I've done this for years with different setups.

    My question refered to speaker cable vs. instrument cable which would I use for this application and why? I'll research this differently. Thanks.
  11. klorence


    Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Instrument cable. Shielding will shield out interference/noise.

    Use speaker cable only for amp-to-speaker connections.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.