Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker ratings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dj4016, Jan 27, 2006.

1. dj4016

dj4016

Dec 12, 2005
    Hi everyone -

Hope some one can give me some direction and a little education on this subject. I'm looking to match up a speaker cab or cabs for a SVT -4pro ampeg head, the head has 1200w@4ohms (2x600W). Does anyone have any experince with this head?

Also a little bit confused on the listed ratings on the speaker cabs, 400 W RMS - 800 W program.:meh:

Thanks in advanced DJ

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    RMS stands for root means square. Rather than giving you the electrical engineering explination, its basically a rating of how much sustained power the cabinet can handle without causing any damage to the drivers. You can play through your amplifier and be putting out a constant 400W and the speakers won't blow. The 800W program means you can handle spikes or or peaks in power up to 800W. You just don't want to be putting a steady 800W through the cabinet.

My experience is that an SVT-4 PRO sounds great through Mesa Boogie cabinets...