1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker recommendation for SWR Basic Black?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimbilly, Mar 28, 2011.

1. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    The stock (PAS?) speaker in my Basic Black has some voice coil rub. I'm leaning towards getting a new speaker, getting a proper recone seems like a bit too much trouble.
    The cabinet is rear ported (about a 5" circle port), the cabinet volume is appx. 2.8cf (18" high, 20.5" wide & 13" deep). The stock speakers measures 4.0 ohms on my multimeter, which in my experience is more consistent with an '8ohm' speaker.
    From looking at the Eminence site and specs, it looks like the Legend CB158 is the most obvious choice, and most places seem to sell them for $117-$129 shipped which doesn't seem bad at all. Any other speakers I should consider? Maybe the Eminece Beta15A? -thanks!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

This sort of question seems to come up every other day. Please read the FAQ on page one.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That depends. You've modeled it in the cab with a speaker modeling program? Checked not only the maximum power handling and SPL but the actual output with the power you have available? That's the only way to be sure.

4. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    The Basic Black is such a sweet sounding combo stock, I'd be disinclined to try another driver unless I assured myself it would be an upgrade.

=wr=

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021