1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

speaker replacment question please help.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by notforrobots, Apr 30, 2009.

1. I gave a really good friend of mine a gries 1x12 cabinet and he blew the speaker today after a year of use. i was just wondering what suggestions would be for a replacement for the speaker would be. I could throw the same speaker in the cab but im looking for something that will take a little more abuse and get some more volume, if this is even possible. He mainly plays upright bass through the cab, here are the specs from the web site
    Neo Bass Cabinet Sale...1x12 is now $250, 1x15 is $275

basscab.jpg

Features:
    *Solid veneer core cabinet grade 3/4" plywood construction with 3/4" baffle. No MDF or particle board.
    *Eminence cast frame 300 watt 8 ohm speaker with neodymium magnet. Several pounds lighter than a typical bass driver with a ceramic magnet.
    *Covered in black tolex with black basket-weave grill cloth. My cat's favorite scratching post is a carpet-covered speaker cabinet. Carpet holds dirt and always looks terrible after a year or two. Steel grills rust and rattle. Guitar players have always used tolex-covered amps with grill cloth; why can't bassists?
    *Steel corner protectors. The plastic ones eventually break.
    *Rear port.
    1x12 Neo - 18"w, 19"h, 14"d, 32 pounds.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I know theres alot of guys on here that have forgotten more then ill ever know.

2. one more thing id like to get a 4 ohm speaker if possible because he uses this as a stand alone cab.

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi notforrobots.

The mantra I always read here on this subject is to get the same driver the cab was designed for.

4. tcbass4ever

tcbass4ever

Apr 5, 2009
    in response to your question i know there are a gazillion speakers out there.but if you
    are looking for a reasonable speaker that has a good sound an they stand behing their
    product try a carvin neo speaker.i had to replace a couple and to be honest with for the
    money i couldnt be happier.this is just my opinion.the neo 12 inch has a 2.5 in voice coil
    rated at 400w at 8 ohms for 89 dollars or the regular 12 which can also be used for bass
    rated at 300 w at 8 ohms for49 bucks.they both have a one year warranty.this is just an opinion for the money they are not bad speakers

5. funny you say that i was just looking at the carvin site

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Driver power ratings mean very little in terms of how much output they're capable of. The driver he blew was an Eminence Deltalite 2512 (first generation), which has better specs than those at Carvin. If he wants to get significantly more output the only way he'll get it is with a Kappalite 3012HO. They don't come cheap, but if he intends to gig with only one twelve cheap just won't cut it. Best price on the 3012HO will be at www.speakerhardware.com.

7. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Beyma makes some of the best bass speakers on the market. You can check out specs and cabinet recommendations at http://www.usspeaker.com These are great guys to deal with.

8. tcbass4ever

tcbass4ever

Apr 5, 2009
    thats cool that you were just at the carvin site.i have used so many different speaker and cabinet enclosures and i really like carvin.a big plus they are american made and they have a decent sound.changing a speaker in a cabinet will not hurt anything as long as you keep the ohms the same.in the 90s my band was signed to roadrunner records and we were touring some shows in the midwest with stp and that is where i got turned on to carvin speakers and cabinets.there are definitely a lot better and a lot worse out there,but the price is right for the carvins.peace and good luck

9. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Well, if you subtract 1 1/2" from the width and height, and 2 1/2 from the depth to account for a 1" inset for the speaker grill, you wind up with 1.92165 cubic ft, give or take.

You could download winISD and find a speaker with really small VAS, but it probably won't work any better than what was there, and you'll need to calculate what the port area difference is with what is already there. Easy to change if it's just a tube, harder if it's a permanent part of the cab.

Ahh, if it was only that easy, grasshopper. ;)

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's like saying it's OK to use any tire on your car as long as you keep the inches the same. Will it fit? Probably. Will it work well? Not necessarily.

11. tcbass4ever

tcbass4ever

Apr 5, 2009
    i agree with what you said bill,as i stated it was just an opinion and really wasnt sure what he was looking to spend.their are plenty of great speakers out there.i have an old svt 810 cab loaded with eminence.they work fine together in the cabinet.independently
    they arent to good.but that is where the design of the cabinet comes in to play.that could be a problem.what kind or power your putting through the speaker,are you over powering it or underpowering etc