1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker(s) question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by klem.gote, May 21, 2011.

1. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Hi all. O.K., I have a Wizzy 10 that I've been using for a couple of years now. Quite happy with it over all, but have gotten curious lately about more/better sound. Aside from issues of portability and ease of transport, what would be the differences in sound between adding a second 10 or going with one of the Wizzy 12" speakers? I'm playing a Shen Willow, FC pickup and a Clarus into the Wizzy. Thanks!!

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    You may be interested in this post that's related to your question.

As to whether you should go with two 10s or a 12, the answer isn't so simple. Keep in mind that if you had two 10s and doubled the power, you'd increase your acoustic power by, at most, 6 dB (assuming both speakers firing on the same axis). Looking at the specs for the 10 and 12-- if we take them at face value, then they both handle roughly the same amount of power and have the same essential frequency response. The frequency response specs EA gives are essentially useless because they don't include a tolerance, as in "+/- X dB." Given that the Wizzy 10 has a smaller driver and smaller cab but is as sensitive as the Wizzy 12, then it's virtually certain that its low-end response drops faster. If you get two of them, that won't change. If you're happy with the response of the Wizzy 10 but just want more power, then there here are some pros vs. cons to having two 10s rather than one:

Pros
    You'll theoretically have twice the power handling for a maximum gain of 6 dB.

You can use the two cabs to fire along different axes so there will be more flexibility in terms of coverage.

Cons
    The parallel load seen by one amp will be 2 ohms. You'll have to determine whether your amp can handle that load and how much power it can supply to it. This could make or break the plan.

You have to carry two cabs.

Your choice. Hope this helps. :)

3. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Hi Drurb,

Thanks for that. While I'm not much of a techie I think I understand most of what you say. I'm not necessarily looking for just more volume, though there are times I could use a little more. What got me thinking about this was just playing through a 12 inch speaker at a rehearsal a couple of weeks ago. It just seemed when I got down to the low C I was getting a little more punch to the sound, so I was wondering if 2 10s would give me that same sound or if I needed the larger 12 inch speaker. And yes, my Clarus can handle the 2 ohm load, gets to around 450 or 500 watts I think. Thanks again.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I used to own 2 Wizzy 10's (I sold one at some point). The sound of the 2 10's together is much deeper, fatter, and thicker than with one alone. The results in terms of being able to control the bass response are not entirely predictable, but the sound is pretty massive. The pros are that you would get a stupid amount of sound out of the Clarus and the 2 10's, and that when you only needed a little volume you could take a single one. The cons are - as the doc said - that you would have to carry two cabs, and that the interaction of the two cabs is not as predictable in each room as a single cab.

I also have some doubts as to whether an amp sounds as clean running at 2 ohms, but that's an intuitive thing based on experience and may be due to other factors.

5. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    I use two w10s, one on a pole and one on the floor. considering that they are 16 lbs a piece 2 cabs aint much to carry. I am able to keep the volume way down and have this very big presence. Lately I've been mixing a Ehrlund and FC into a AI Focus, and having one W10 on a stand makes for (even just by itself) a very excellent sound. That said I dont think the W10 is the end all in URB sound. But they are light and powerful. BTW I did not have a lot of success stacking the W10's on top of one another, weird coupling or something made for some unpredictable bass woofyness.

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, there you go. Stacking them can cause some difficulties. Being able to have one on the floor and one on a pole is a great example of the flexibility I mentioned with regard to coverage and firing along different axes. You can't do that with one cab.

klem.gote, you answered the fundamental question (pun intended :)). If a more extended low-end response is what you're really after, then I'd recommend that you switch cabs altogether (to the Wizzy 12 or something else) rather than get two 10s.

Chris' experience of two 10s sounding deeper and fatter with some difficulty in control likely arises from physical acoustical interactions of the sort that also explain the difficulty when stacking that flatback described. If those interactions did not occur, then the expectation would be that two 10s would yield the same frequency response as one, albeit with greater power handling capabilities.

Tricky business, this stuff! :)

7. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    I don't know if this will help, but when I play dixieland (I play quite a bit of this, I'll play anything) I used to go out with a Clarus and a 12" Wizzy off an Underwood. Recently I've stacked a 10" Wizzy on the 12 and as well as extending the top end a bit and lifting a speaker closer to my ear, the combination has a much more pronounced bottom presence. Not sure why/how but it does it very well. More headroom too, of course, although at the volumes I play it has never really been an issue with a single 12.

8. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    Thank you all for your replies. Lots of good info here, as always. And varying experiences too. I agree that carrying an extra Wizzy 10 isn't a big deal, and I like the idea of the deeper, fatter sound. On the other hand I really don't need all the extra volume I'd get from the second 10, and there are those other issues that can arise from stacking speakers. I guess maybe I'm leaning toward a Wizzy 12 (or M-Line maybe???). Of course the only way I'll really know is to try it myself. But I really appreciate your opinions, very helpful, thank you!!

9. Never played one, but I hear the M-line is nice. If I were thinking about getting a wizzy 12, I'd definitely be looking into the M-line.

10. klem.gote

klem.gote

Jan 18, 2009
    New England
    Bass Player
    (Quote)
    I also have some doubts as to whether an amp sounds as clean running at 2 ohms, but that's an intuitive thing based on experience and may be due to other factors.
    (Quote)

By the way, I've never heard this before. Anyone else?

11. bassdaddyfive

bassdaddyfive

Feb 12, 2009
    Kenosha Wi.
    E A wizzy 12" M Line works better for me than 2-10" wizzys. Better low end and more than enough power. I use it for DB and EBG gigs. One cab goes along way....