Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker size

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jun 17, 2005.

1. So.....what do different sizes of speakers make "X" bass?

A 1" speaker would make X bass sound ________________.

An 8" speaker would make X bass sound _______________.

An 10" speaker would make X bass sound ______________.

An 12" speaker would make X bass sound ______________.

An 15" speaker would make X bass sound ______________.

An 18" speaker would make X bass sound ______________.

Just very curious about tonewise how each speaker would make a bass sound. Thanks!

2. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    YOU ARE ASKING FOR IT!

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    From what i know, the bigger the speaker the lower the frequency. Say you have a 18'' speaker and you put 300 watts into it. It's going to be low really low. Then lets say you have a 12'' inch speaker it is going to produce the frequency between a 15'' speaker and a 10'' speaker. People here who are better knowlegded about this stuff can help you out more. But the general idea is the smaller the speaker the higher the frequency of sound it produces.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    In general the larger the driver the lower frequency it plays to, if all other design factors are equal. But they aren't. A driver's potential performance can be calculated from its Thiele/Small parameters. You can get a basic projected response using a minimum of three of those parameters, and driver size is not one of them. In fact, rated in order of importance to accurately predicting driver response the Sd (cone area) is well down the list.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Is your keyboard permanently stuck on capslock?:meh:

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm gonna have to try me one of those X basses.

7. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I'll add to the knowledgeable Bill Fitzmaurice, whom I agree with.

There are general frequencies & applications you'll typically see coming out a given size driver. In addition, you can change one or many of the parameters of any speaker & it can change everything drastically.

A 10" can be made to sound like a 15"; a 15" can be made to sound like a midrange, etc.

Mark
    AccuGroove Speakers

8. cirwin

cirwin

May 2, 2005
    Uh - not quite. Due to the inertia of a large speaker, it will be limited somewhere in the mid-range. It will also start to get extremely directional or "beamy" above a certain wave length.

In general, a larger cone area will be more efficient at lower frequencies - ie: for a given electrical power in, you'll get more acoustic power out. This can be influenced by the type of enclosure the speaker is in. Also by the excursion capacity of the speaker and its thermal dissipation capacity.

Charlie Irwin

9. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    You're right Cirwin, if the speaker is still acting as a piston, many manfacturers take advantage of cone flexability to extend the usable upper range and reduce beaming problems.

10. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    I dont know man, Accugroove speakers are supposedly some of the best speakers, so Im sure Mark knows his stuff.

11. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    He does.

But look at Accugroove cabs, in general, the lower the frequencies the speaker is expected to reproduce, the bigger it is.

Whappo Junior and Bill Dicken Sub excluded of course. So there are ways to fudge the rules, just like with ANY 'rule'.

EDIT - And what do you mean some of the best? I demand you rewrite to say 'the best' imeediately! :D

12. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    15s tend to give you that "old school" motown/flat-wound warm sound - at the expense of some muddiness/weakness in the higher frequencies.

10s tend to have more "punch" (mid-range clarity), but can sound weak in the low-end - unless you've got enough of them to really push the air.

These are *only* generalizations. The cabinet construction (size, ported, etc.) has a *lot* to do with the sound.

13. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I wrote:
    Or as philman99 said:
    I think we agree that in general certain size drivers are naturally better for a given application.

My other comment was that size is not the ONLY thing that dictates what you use that size driver for like many musicians think. By adjusting any of the 25+ parameters of a driver, your design can drastically change its applications. In addition to the parameters, there's the cabinet design that is built around the drivers, including volume, porting, etc. that can manipulate the outcome as well.

90%+ of the time drivers are used in their typically thought of applications & that’s OK.

Jack & playmybass...thank you for the kind words!

Mark
    AccuGroove Speaker Cabinets