Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakers going out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Dec 20, 2004.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Here is my dilema (did I spell that right?)

I play a Tribute L2K through a Behringer BX3000T and a Peavey 2X15". I think I've totally damaged the speakers and I need your opinion. When I was 1st learning to EQ this bass I was still pumping way too many mids through the speakers....sounded ratty but did cut through. I played probably 4 rehearals this way (at around 45% volume). Now even though I've eq'd the mids out so that the bass is much "smoother" I get this weird almost distorted harmonic buzz from the speakers when I touch the strings to the FB (without plucking on my pick hand). When I jack the volume up to rehearsal volume (45 to 50%) I don't hear that distortion anymore. I feel fairly certain I've damaged the speakers and might need to replace them :( . Has anyone else experienced this weird harmonic distortion sound at low volume levels? If so what do you think it means.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

2. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I've had similar problems from bad instrument cables before. Have you tried a different cable?

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've not even thought about my cables....sheesh! I should've thought about that first! I'll get some new instrument and amp cables tonight and see if that does it.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-