1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speakers going out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Dec 20, 2004.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Here is my dilema (did I spell that right?)

I play a Tribute L2K through a Behringer BX3000T and a Peavey 2X15". I think I've totally damaged the speakers and I need your opinion. When I was 1st learning to EQ this bass I was still pumping way too many mids through the speakers....sounded ratty but did cut through. I played probably 4 rehearals this way (at around 45% volume). Now even though I've eq'd the mids out so that the bass is much "smoother" I get this weird almost distorted harmonic buzz from the speakers when I touch the strings to the FB (without plucking on my pick hand). When I jack the volume up to rehearsal volume (45 to 50%) I don't hear that distortion anymore. I feel fairly certain I've damaged the speakers and might need to replace them :( . Has anyone else experienced this weird harmonic distortion sound at low volume levels? If so what do you think it means.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

2. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I've had similar problems from bad instrument cables before. Have you tried a different cable?

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've not even thought about my cables....sheesh! I should've thought about that first! I'll get some new instrument and amp cables tonight and see if that does it.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-