Speakon conversion

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mophead, Nov 3, 2011.

1. mophead

mophead

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Have two single 18 Yamaha subs. The jack plates for connections have only 1/4" plug in connections. One to input and another to daisy chain. The newer models have both speakon and 1/4 connectors.

Anyone know where I can buy jackplates with both 1/4 and Speakons already wired and ready to install? Did a google search and only came up with component pieces.

2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Look at Parts Express.

3. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    Or you could just buy a 1" paddle drill bit, and pop two holes on the back of your box, drop in a pair of paralleled NL4MPR connectors, solder the positive and negs together respectively with a chunk of 18-2 or 16-2 cable and just jumper off the positive and neg leads to the 1/4" and you are set. Parts express will have full plate kits, but you may need to mod your cabinets to work with the pre-made plates or vice versa. When I've built or modded boxes, I've always just popped the NL4MPR's in and been done with it. But do check out Parts Express to see if they've got something that will work out of the box. But if you do it the way I am suggesting, you can get your connectors via the net or from a nearby guitar center-ish type store if one exists near you. But with a 1" paddle bit and a handful of 3/4" drywall screws you are done in minutes. But you have to buy the NL4MPR, the round ones, when you sink the square ones straight into the wood, they have a tendency to be less than stable and don't last physically. The MPR version has a larger surface area and handles the stress of being straight into the box much better.

Good Luck!

4. walkerci

walkerci

Mar 7, 2006
    Orlando, FLA
    +1

I'd go with a metal dish punched for 2 Neutrik D connectors and ditch the 1/4" jacks.

Cutting the hole for a dish and soldering a few wires is fast an easy. Be sure to take the drivers out before you cut any holes and vacuum up well before reinstalling them.

5. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Get plates with just Speakons - 1/4" connectors have no place on loudspeakers.

6. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Not pre-wired, but I get mine from Speakerhardware.com.

The plates come with jacks, nuts and bolts for mounting them, spade connectors so you don't even need to know how to solder, gasket and screws for mounting the plate to the cab.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021