Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speakon question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Irie01, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I bought a speakon cable with my svt2pro and I was wondering which end goes into the amp and which goes into the cab.I have ampeg 6-10" cab and it has a input for the speakon also.The cable is an ampeg and is speakon on one end and 1/4" on the other.Also, do I only need this one cable to hook the amp to the cab.Thanks.

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis

Either end goes either place. No difference.

And, yes, you only need the one cable. One amp, one speaker, one cable.

Just be sure that it is NOT a "bridge mono" cable, because they are connected differently.

Ours are labeled on a sleeve on the cable as to whether they are "stereo' or "mono" type.

3. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    You can always buy a Speakon male end to replace the 1/4". Less long term failure potential over the 1/4" plug. JMO.

4. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    procablesnsound.com make top notch cables for decent prices.

5. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    the cable that I got from GC does say mono bridged on it.Fortunatley I havent even taken it out of the wrap.I'll have to look at the Livewire cables they had there and find a stereo.Thanks ampeginsider.I would not have realized that.Its a shame that the people at GC are such idiots.They are never any help and they try and act like they know what they are doing.The guy I bought the svt2 from thought there was something wrong with the amp.He was plugging into the wrong input in the back!Scary stuff.