Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakon question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ego, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    i just won me a QSC PLX 1602 on ebay, and i want to make sure i have everything i need before it gets here. the manual shows that the output to the speaker is either Speakon or speaker cable, and my cabinet takes 1/4 inch only. i did a search and it looks like most speakon cables they sell require a reconnection of wires... anyone want to point me towards an easy, already working cord that i can buy?

2. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    From your description it sounds like the amp has both. So the cable you seek is already plugged into your cabinet...

3. If needed Speakon to 1/4" adapters are available as well as Speakon to 1/4" cables.

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    +1 for the adapters. You can always find a 1/4" speaker cable but sometimes a speakon speaker cable is a bit hard to find.

I use them myself.

I ALSO use on occasion speakon -> 1/4" and speakon -> banana plug speaker cables. But the speakon ->1/4" adapter is the way to go.

:D

Joe.

5. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    i picked up a 6' speakon==>1/4'' cable on ebay. i'm pretty sure i'm only gonna need one, so why not. thanks as always for the advice, everyone

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The output options are actually Speakon or binding posts.

It would probably take a lot less time to just wire a 4-pole Speakon (NL4FC) or a dual banana plug onto an existing cable than to find one ready made. Either way, it shouldn't really take any longer than about five minutes, and you don't even need any soldering gear or special tools.

7. If you want a good, not so expensive speakon -> 1/4", look at pro cables n' sound. They have excellant customer service, very high quality cables, and will make you just about any cable you want, and have it shipped to you in days, not weeks. I have gotten a few cables from them, and anytime I need new cables, thats where Ill be going.

Heres a link

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    So are you saying I can rewire the jack plate w/ Speakons pretty easily??? I'd like to take avantage of the higher output of the Speakon, but my cabs are wired for 1/4"....or maybe you're not saying that :meh:

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I wouldn't worry about the jackplate for now. It would be nice to do, but you'd probably have to do some cutting. Let's get you started on being able to use the amp first.

If you already have a speaker cable with a 1/4" plug on at least one end, just cut and strip the wires on the other end and put an NL4FC (typically around $5 to $7 each) on it. Put the wires into 1+ (the conductor that goes to the tip on the 1/4" at the other end) and 2+ (the conductor that goes to the sleeve), tighten down the setscrews to clamp the wires, reassemble the Speakon, and you're all set.

10. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    +1 for that. Great cables, nice people.

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    great....I've worked with all kinds of Cat 5 cable/connectors so this should be ok. Thanks Bob