Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speakon..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Oct 11, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Where do you find them? I went almost everywhere;
    2 Local guitar stores
    Radio Shack
    Brandsmart
    Best Buy
    Circuit City
    Sound Advice

Everytime I asked for speakon, I was looked at like I was speaking some Arab language. I kept trying to explain what it looks like, and they kept showing me basic home audio crap.

Where can I find 1+ speakon wires?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Speakon isn't a WIRE, its a type of PLUG. You use standard speaker wire, just put speakons on the ends.

Available at any Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or major online stores like Musicians Friend.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Out of your list of stores, the only stores I'd expect to have them are the guitar stores. They should have known what they are. Generally, you find Speakon connectors and cables at any place that sells pro audio gear. There are many many online sources for them.

4. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    The guitar stores heard of them but didn't have them. And the only two that are close to me are like 45 min. away either North or South. Sam Ash to the North, Guitar Center to the South. I just called up Sam Ash and they only have 1/4"-Speakon 6footers, or Speakon-Speakon 20 footers.

5. Falk

Falk

Jan 18, 2004
    Norway
    Go to a store that sells PA audio equipment! It's mostly used on PA stuff... :D

6. go to sweetwater and order a proco fatmax. they're expensive, but you'll love it. they have other speakon connectors and cables that you can order and get shipped for free.

robb.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Save money and get better cable:

Mail order two Speakon connectors.

Go to a local home center/hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot, and get some 12 guage electrical cable. Cheap and thick!

Make your own cords, with Speakons, its easy, with just a small screwdriver, no soldering at all.

8. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Ok, I ordered some online, they should be here in 4 days. Till then , can I get 1/4" for the time being? Again, I'm new to rig stuff.

My SVT410HLF has 2 1/4" jacks and 2 speakon jacks.
    My amp also has 2 1/4" jacks. Do I need 2 to power the cab?

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just one cable per cab