1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Special Edition Build Off: Grace 6 from Winter Build Off 2018

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Beej, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I was going to park this for a while longer while I focused on other more pressing projects, but I've been peer pressured into joining this Special Edition Build Off thing. This bass is probably one of the closest things I have to completion in my workshop.

Here is the original thread:
    Winter Build Off 2018 - Walnut Grace 6

Here is what it looks like now:
    20200328_151040.jpg
    20200331_205217.jpg

I work in health care, so I've been very, very, very, very busy for the last couple of weeks. Overall, it's gravely concerning to be in the middle of the covid19 pandemic, but everyone I work with is remaining cautiously optimistic here. My appreciation for everyone who's working hard in these times, especially grocery store workers!

I'll do my best to keep things up to date. There are only a few steps left, so hopefully I can bang this thing out by the end date. :thumbsup:

2. Looking forward to seeing more on this build. My wife works in a grocery store and really appreciated your thank you!

S-Bigbottom and Beej like this.
  3. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Glad to see you participating!

And on a serious note, a big thanks to you, and Matt's wife, and everyone else on the front lines in this pandemic.

What's the deal with that driftwood top? I scanned your old thread a bit but didn't see any details. Is it literally a piece of driftwood you found and resawed yourself? Do you know what species it is?

Matt Liebenau and Beej like this.
  4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Yep, I walk the beaches around here pretty regularly, and being on the PNW means we get woods from around the Pacific rim. It's pretty tough to tell for certain with driftwood, but I believe this piece is probably yellow cedar.

The beautiful crotch I posted in Big B's thread I think is red cedar, but might be redwood or the like.

I love using found, repurposed or driftwood. They tend to be really interesting in grain, colouring, inclusions, etc. :thumbsup:

5. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Definitely watching this, and, as someone who is still out working at this time, I'd like to thank you for your service...medical workers are the front line working for us all.
    Please be well.

Beej likes this.
  6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Beej .... thanks for all you do ! I know this has to be incredibly stressful and exhausting.....

and I’m looking forward to the build thread

Beej likes this.
  7. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Glad to see you're in. Thanks for what you're doing.

Beej likes this.
  8. Beej,

Thank you so much for all your hard work in this crazy time! Please stay safe...
    Beautiful bass thus far! Looking forward to whenever you find time to share your progress :)

~Adam

Beej likes this.
  9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Thanks for the kind words folks; I feel like my job is more cog-in-the-wheel than those working wild hours on the frontline, but it does feel good to help.

This bass needs some help too. :D

Since I last worked on it, I've poached the fretboard, pickup covers, pickups, preamp, barrel jack and straplocks/pins for other projects. :D Last night and today, I sifted through everything I had, and located some old jazz pickups, enough wire, pots and bits for passive wiring, a jack, graphtech nut, and a small chunk of walnut just big enough for a couple of pickup covers. As you can see from the pic above, I also decided to use the remaining home-roasted walnut fingerboard for this build. It's a better fit colour-wise than the bubinga one I had landed on previously. This walnut board is the lightest in colour of the three. I'll get some pics tonight and put em up. :)

S-Bigbottom, wraub and Matt Liebenau like this.
  10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
  11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    The walnut is a great match for that top

Beej likes this.
  12. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I agree, I think it's got the right browns and the grain is somewhat complementary too. :)

dmarino likes this.
  13. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I errantly posted this in my Winter Build Off thread instead, so here's a cut/paste:

Welp, I broke my ******* phone. Normally, this is an inconvenience in time and money, but in the current situation, I can't even get the thing repaired. I'd just buy out my plan and get a new one, but it's literally a month old and I have 23 months remaining, so it's basically buying a new phone.

I'm still trying to work out if one of the repair guys can meet me somewhere to repair it, assuming we perform all of the new normal of physical distancing guidelines and disinfecting everything one another touches. Problem is, they are all located in malls, and the malls are all closed. WCS, I buy a new bleedin' phone, and when I can eventually repair this one, it will go to one of my kids. All of my latest pics are on this buzzing, ringing, unanswerable black brick, and are inaccessible, so all I can do is tell you what I've done. :D

I've routed pickup slots for the jazz pickups in the bottoms of the pickup covers, and then cut them out of the walnut posted earlier. I also sanded the body again to 220. I also sanded the fretboard up to 400, but I ran into a...snag. I'll post about it once I've completely resolved it, and can access some pics again. I've finalized and marked out the headstock shape (having changed it twice already :rolleyes: ), but haven't cut it out yet due to the snag.

I also think I'll be doing this as a set neck. That was the plan originally, but somewhere along the line after the build-off, I incorporated bolt-on considerations in the evolving body design, and had decided to make it a bolt-on. Now that I've done numerous mockups, I think I'll make it a set neck again. :smug:

14. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    My laptop cost half what my phone did. It’s criminal. Sorry about your misfortune, Beej.

Also, may as well get this out of the way. No pics, no bass.

15. turindev

turindev

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida, USA
    I dig that body shape, looking forward to this one!

Beej and Reedt2000 like this.
  16. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Well, I have an appointment for a repair tomorrow, and he'll do it in an hour! I've never been this excited to blow $275.00 on nothing in my life! :woot:

Soon enough, there may be pics again... :smug:

17. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I got my phone back, good as new! :woot:

But there are no pics on my phone. :blackeye:

Guess I'll be taking new ones... :meh:

18. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Good that you’re back in business phone-wise !

and you wanted to take new pics anyway .... ;)

Beej likes this.
  19. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    I do like the body shape as well! Headstock is a bit weird tho. :smug:

Beej likes this.
  20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sorry to hear about the phone loss --- that's way inconvenient. (and like others have said: thanks for being out there battling: cog or otherwise, it's riskier than being at home! ;) .)

cool look to the ax already, beeg! i'm looking forward to the progress. it's really fun to watch this stuff happen! :thumbsup:

Beej likes this.