Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Special Request from Dude

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dude, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Hey,

I would like to ask the members of Talkbass to please look at this thread on The Dude Pit about my good friend Ray Duke in San Antonio and do as your heart dictates.

For those of you who do not know Ray, he is the ultimate "working stiff" bass player, a man in his late 40's who's never really done anything for a living other than play the bass in clubs, bars and restaurants all over the country. He's never played to packed stadiums or been driven to a show in a limo...just dive bars and beatup station wagons for over 25 years. The point is that he's done it all his life...played bass for a modest living on average of 4-5 times a week for decades.

Last Wednesday night he was playing is regular gig when he beacame quite sick while on break yet he got back up on stage and finished the last set before relenting to having friends take him to the hospital. Well, the rest of the story is on The Pit in this thread and I ask that you please take the time to read it and act as your heart dictates:

Click Here to Read

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    This is Ray

[​IMG]

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm in!

Thanks Dude for letting us know!!!

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Thanks guys!

5. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Thanks guys those of us on the pit appreciate anything you can do, Ray is a great guy, and being a working musician does not really afford one to have insurance.

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'd like to add that Ray is one of the first guys that would jump in to help any one of us...

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    What is the paypal address?

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    From the thread at The Dudepit...

"Send checks to:

Ray Duke
    C/O Chuck Moses
    P.O. Box 310105
    New Braunfels, TX 78131

I have a Paypal account where you may make contributions and I'll pass them along to Ray. My email address is my user ID for Paypal.

moses@compuvision.net

Thanks to all for concern, prayers and financial help. It is great to be a member of this family of bassists.

Chuck"

9. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    bump! I'd hate to see this slip off the first page.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    :( If I still had my job I'd contribute.

But nothing but respect for a man who makes a living playing bass, without being a "rock star". That man is 100% rock n' roll. :bassist:

11. i wish i could help. sorry. get well sooon, ray!

keep on rockin big guy!! :)

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sent what I could a couple days ago.....get well soon Ray!

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
  14. Don't know him, but I know the life and I'm of an age where the same thing can happen. Got a little extra in my pockets these days so paypal has been sent.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Saw stuff for Ray over at the DudePit but only read the story now. Tough luck for a great guy. As soon as I get some money, it's going his way.