1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spect-owsky?? Anyone? Sad guts in a Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by benthughes, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Anybody try this? Here's 2 versions of a prospective plan, any ideas or experience with this would be helpful. I love to feel and look of Spector basses but want a different sound.

Spector Euro 4: Remove EMG pickups and preamp and replace with Sadowsky P/J set and Sadowsky pre w/VTC.

Spector Euro 5 and replace electronics as above except with Sadowsky soapbars which are the same size as a EMG DC.

Should I just stick with a brand and deal with it?

2. rhcp32291

rhcp32291

Aug 19, 2007
    Long Island
    Sounds like an awesome idea that I'm sure will sound amazing.

3. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Do it!

4. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Endorsing Artist: Gr Bass, Pyramid Strings, MPE Audio
    VERY Intersting..
    the sadowsky pickups and preamp is one of the best sounding things I've ever heard on a bass..

said so.. I've always been a fan of the Spector craftmanship and how tight, clear and present sounded everything on the fretboard.

5. Guess there is the fact that I could sell sadowsky guts back for close to what I paid...... Me thinks it may be "on" gents.

6. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    does this mean you're no longer on the lookout for another? :)

M

7. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Sounds like a good idea.

Do it and report back!

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My two favorite brands. I don't think you'll get a sound similar to the Sadowsky Modern by swapping the Sadowsky Soapbars into the Euro 5 t hough. A good part of the Sadowsky Modern's tone is from the pickup placement.

9. Pietzsa

Pietzsa Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Orange, Texas
    Well I feel like I already have that recipe and didn't know it. I did keep the EMG PJ pickups but ordered my Spector with an Aguilar OBP1 preamp. I did not know the history that Alex Aguilar designed the famous Sadowsky circuit that we all know and love. This bass is my tone machine. I do own a Sadowsky RV4 and love its sound, but prefer the Spector's ergonomics and the preamp is awesome. I know I'll get some people saying the Aguilar is not the same, but it was close enought to prevent me from gutting the Spectors electronics.

10. Not at all.... It actually means I need a P/J to put the guts into so gimmee!

People rave about the Sadowsky preamp....what about the pickups, are these anything special? I'm sure they're great but I love the full range sound of the EMG's.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021