1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SPECTOR 4 USA BOLT ON OR RICKENBACKER 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d of the wes, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Spector USA 4 bolt-on

23 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. rickenbacker 4003

29 vote(s)
    55.8%
  1. d of the wes

d of the wes

Aug 16, 2009
    No biased opinions please, im asking for a comparison in sound and quality

2. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Do you have the opportunity to play both? The real answer is the one that speaks to you.

3. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Try 'em both if you can.
    I know, not normally an option, but if you can try the 4003 with an option to return it might be worth the extra effort.
    There is stock in hand at some dealers. depending on the finish you're interested in.

I'm extremely happy with my brand new 4003 (3rd week of 2010), I had high expectations and these have been surpassed, but then I'm a long time Rick owner and know what to expect, with vintage ones at any rate. Never played a Spector, there are none in my area that I'm aware of.

It's a very personal choice and no one else can make it for you, though.

4. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Those 2 basses are very different.
    What kind of music do you play? What kind of technique u mostly use? In general, what do you want the bass for?

5. d of the wes

d of the wes

Aug 16, 2009
    i usually play metal- the only exeptions being rush and yes and i play with my fingers-

6. 4stringman

4stringman

Oct 12, 2008
    Memphis, Tn
    Either way youre good, from my person experience I think the spector will fit your needs a little better. Rics are amazing basses, but I think in the long run the spector will work more. Its much more versatile in todays music scene

7. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I've played both, and the Spector is definitely the superior instrument.

8. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    For metal and fingerstyle i think that the spector would suit you much better.
    The spector is also a much more versatile instrument than the ric imo.

9. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    There's no such thing as an unbiased opinion about Rickenbackers.

10. I've got 100s of hours on each. I have decided to steer away from these maple bodied basses, because they are too dark for my music. The Spector is the natural choice for metal. The Ric would work and surprise more people. Make sure to consider comfort. The Spector body shape is way more comfortable and less delicate, due to it's small body shape and contours.

11. Let's not act like a Ric is a one-trick pony that can only play one thing.

Obligatory Youtube vids
    Iron Maiden's - Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Cherry Poppin Daddies - Master and Slave

The Police - Spirits In The Material World

Motley Crue - Looks That Kill

This is a varied selection with some metal thrown in. If you want to see more, this guy had done a lot of tunes.

While you may not can avoid the Rickenbacker "sound", it's not like you can't play metal or any style of music with one. You most certainly can as these videos show.

With that said, get the one you feel most comfortable with. If you like the Spector, get it. Don't let anyone tell you that you're wrong.

Personally, I've played the Spector for a short time through a bad amp so I'd rather not comment since that will cloud my judgement, I'm sure.

Also, R.I.P. LRRG zodiakironfist.

12. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The only thing that a Ric can't do well IMO is Funky jazzy Jaco type stuff. It can, and will excel, at just about everything else. Ergonomics and feel are what you really want to pay attention to here.

Honestly though you need to play both of these to decide. Ric's are notorious for being love/hate for a lot of people and I recommend people play them before shelling out the cash for one.

13. +1 for Spector.

14. I have owned both of them. If you want a clanky, growly stringy sound (like I am) you should probably go with the Spector.

15. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Good points, but a Rick can do funky jazz, as evidenced by missgingerlee:

I know, not specifically what the OP asked about, but it does showcase the versatility of these basses, granted a 4002 is a far cry from a 4003 in terms of rarity.

16. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    didn't nikki actually use a spector on the original recording of that album though? personally I never heard a ric until your vids and really I didn't like the tone on that guys bass at all LOL.

17. d of the wes

d of the wes

Aug 16, 2009
    Everyone, i have a samash near me that sells both, i went up there, and in general, i like the sound of the rick more, dont get me wrong i loved the spector, but i think itd be better cuz my last bass was active A.K.A the musicman stingray 5, i also could get good tones out of a crappy amp:)

18. d of the wes

d of the wes

Aug 16, 2009
    and also the type of bass tone i like most is in Sludge Factory by Alice in chains, can someone please tell mewhich bass will give me that tone

19. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    you need to pick a store that has both with a good return policy and play both in your band.

other than that, I stay away from painted necks, which most rics and spectors have.

20. +100 for the Spector.

Dan Brigg the bassist for Between The Buried And Me uses a Spector and man he makes it sing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020