Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector hiss...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by incognito89x, May 26, 2005.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I think this would be the right forum for this post but I'm not positive.

I've got the spector bass i've posted about a couple times and the sound is great, but when I let it sit it has a bit of a hiss (or buzz, or whatever you want to call it). If I dampen the strings it pretty much stops it but if I'm not touching them it'll make the buzz. I heard a suggestion it might not be properly shielded but I don't know for sure.

Here's a shot of the control cavity if anyone can tell if this is shielded or not. If not what else may be causing the sound, or how can I remedy it. The bass has Dimarzio pickups and obviously the Aguilar preamp (OBP-1)

[​IMG]

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    if it's bothering you that much, I'd be happy to take it off your hands...

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    What do you have the treble set at? I am not sure if the Dimarzios need a ground or not, you might check that. Does it crackle, or just a hiss?. OPINION: Dump the DiMarzio's and put EMG's in it.

4. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    That was a consideration as well when i first got the bass. My only thought was the Dimarzios do sound good. It's not crackling or anything and as I tried to describe it only happens when I'm not touching the strings. I guess it might be what is considered "hot" pickups or something along those lines.

Yes the noise is reduced when I drop the treble, but to remove enough of it there isn't enough treble in the EQ.

I may take it over to Low Down Sound one of these days and get some EMG's for it.

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Drop the Treble on the bass and boost it on the amp.

6. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    That's what I've been doing for the time being, but even that doesn't completely remove the noise. Like I said when I'm actually playing it's not an issue but when I let go of all the strings.

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    +1

Dunno why they would stray from a formula that works...no offense to DiMarzio, but EMG & Spectors go together like....eggs and bacon???? You get what I mean...

8. Agreed. Like a butter and bread, like hotdog and a bun, like popcorn and a coke, like EMG's and a Spector,like food after sex.......

9. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    Hard to tell from the black paint. Normally the black coating is conductive but:

To test shield take a DMM and using ohms place the 2 leads against the internal walls. If you get conduction of less than 1000 ohms then it is shield. Lower ohm readings are better.

Also test if the walls connect to the ground of the cable with the DMM. Again low ohm readings are better.