Spector Legend 4 Standard vs Sterling SUB Ray4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A. D. Fairhurst, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Spector

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. SUB Ray

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. Carrot Ray

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. At the end of the year, I am thinking of buying myself a new bass, and I have narrowed it down to two choices: the Spector Legend 4 Standard...
    preview.jpg
    ...and the Sterling by Ernie Ball SUB Ray4...
    xl_137577-tmp7A89.jpg
    ...but I cannot for the life of me decide which one to get. I love the Spector growl as I am a big fan of Mike Starr from Alice in Chains, but also the Stingray bite, as I love Tim Commerford from RATM. I am in a tribute band to the Red Hot Chili Peppers and play a Jazz bass as well as an Aria bass with P-J pickups (which somehow still sounds very different to a Spector...in fact very different to anything I've ever heard!) and I know that Flea has played both a Spector bass and a Musicman bass over the years. So now, I ask you, the lovely people of TalkBass, these four questions...
    • Which bass has better build quality?
    • Which bass has better resale value?
    • Which bass is more versatile?
    • Which bass looks cooler?
    ...but to be honest I'm much more concerned about the looks. Call me superficial and all, but I really love both sounds equally, so I may as well go for the cooler bass. Vote in the poll now!

2. I'm thinking Spector at the minute

3. All I'll say is for the $200.00 I paid for my Ray5 I couldn't he happier. I have 7 other basses that cost a lot more...and I really just finished playing all of them for an hour or two deciding what to gig this Saturday and the Ray5 is probably going to get the nod.
    Buy used, for less than a good pedal. I have a Legend also....for me the Ray5 is better. Best budget bass built right now imho.

A. D. Fairhurst likes this.
  4. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    Having owned both of these, man I hope you went with the Spector. It is leaps and bounds better than the SUB. Like comparing a BMW 325i against a Ford Festiva.

5. Haven't bought 'em yet!

6. Hi Im Juan

Hi Im Juan

Mar 16, 2021
    As an owner of a StingRay and a Spector Legend 4 Standard (2019 version), I'd say go for the Spector. Funnily enough, Timmy C and Mike Starr (and Inez) are my top favorite bassists of ALL TIME! But man you just can't beat both the Spector quality (the Legend 4 is made in Indonesia, but the quality and build is definitely NOT compromised), and that growl. Both basses are good honestly.

llmk likes this.