1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector or Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by reverb508, Mar 3, 2008.

1. reverb508

reverb508

Jan 6, 2008
    I know this topic has been done before but when I searched, I didn't get a definitive answer. I'm looking to get a new bass and have narrowed it down to a spector euro dlx ex (w/ the zebrawood top), or a Warwick Corvette in either bubinga or a maple proline.
    I've heard good things about both sides and am unsure about which to get. I've only had the chance to play the warwick and I thought it sounded great but I don't want to jump on it before getting an idea of what the spector offers. I have some questions that may help me decide.

-How does the build quality differ between the two?
    -How does the spector play versus the warwick (which was poorly set up when I played it).
    -What are the tonal differences?
    -How do the MEC pickups compare to the EMG HZ's?
    -I've heard about neck dive in the warwick thumbs, how do these models fair?
    -Which would better suit the style of my band? (the link's in my sig)

Thanks for the help
    Brian

2. I can only be specific about neck dive on Corvettes(I have an FNA)vs Thumbs(had a BO-4); the 'Vette balances nicely & the Thumbs definitely dive, IME.
    Additionally, I like Warwick better for tone(strong mids)vs Spector(had a fretless Rebop 5, but that's different enough to not really apply here, IMO).

3. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Hmm, you mentioned Zebrawood and EMG-hzs. You mean a Rebop probably? Cos i have the exact one and i preferred it from a corvette, because i was in the same dillema.

I love the spector sound. Warwick sound is different though. Narrower string spacing in the vette too as far as i remember, but a bit chunkier neck.
    Both have exceptional build quality.
    Tonal differences is that the spector has more mid-ranged growl but the warwick more low-ranged growl. (that's how it sounded to me though)
    I liked the emg-hz more than the mecs. I read that the mecs are producing a little bit of noise, but i haven't heard it myself to be able to confirm.
    Spectors have some neck-dive, but with a good strap there's no prob. I only tried the corvette while sitting, so i don't know about neck-dive issue.
    As for which one suits your band better, i think that they both are quite versatile to fit in perfectly ;)

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    [​IMG]

I have one of those very basses you're talking about. IMO, it trounces anything Warwick are putting out.

Both companies produce well made basses, though I have never found any Spector Euro to have any issues with fit and finish, I've played a couple of Warwicks that were less than brilliant in this department.

I find the Spector to be a beautiful player though. The neck is just wonderful, and the satin finish is great. The Spector is much brighter and burpier than Warwicks loaded with MEC's, due to it's EMG pickups. The tonepump is a HOT preamp, but I like that. It's perhaps the first bass I've had where the preamp is voiced just how I want it to be! I find Warwick (apart from Hellborg's) to be quite dark and often a bit muddier sounding-but this is just me, I crave articulation and a bright of brightness!

And yes, Thumbs are pretty heavy and can suffer some serious neck dive, which I don't dig. I quite like Thumbs when I'm sitting down though, but the Spector suits me best.

5. reverb508

reverb508

Jan 6, 2008
    That's the one! Only with 5 strings instead of 4. Beautiful bass.

One question, I notice the strap button is located in an odd position (towards the top rather than dead center). Does this cause any problems with the strap coming off while playing? Am I going to need strap locks?

So what I gather from the responses is that Warwick= big bottom and Spector= mid range and snap. I want something that cuts through the mix so it sounds like the Spector would do the trick. I recorded my bands cd with a p-bass and notice that the lower notes are not very audible in the mix. Maybe a rebop will give me some punch.

6. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I'd get the Neckthru Euro Spector.

If you're going to get a Warwick, get the Thumb which costs about 2x as much as the Spector (my 2 cents) :bag:

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yeah, the Spector cuts through mixes even more than my Kubicki and Status basses did...and thats saying something! It does have a nice midrange growl which makes fingerstyle very rewarding.

Yeah, the strap button takes some getting used to...about 5 minutes until you get comfy with it (I was use to having a strap button on the opposite side of the body). However, it won't require a special strap, and the bass hangs great. Very light and comfortable, whereas Warwicks are rather heavy!

8. Spector

9. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    If you are trying to decide between the two that you listed then i would say go with the Spector. If you really want a Warwick then go with a Thumb Bass

10. yugo

yugo

Mar 28, 2006
    i find that warwicks have a very unique sound but they are not that versatile in getting anything else. I would go with the spector.

11. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I've owned both and like both. Really, the two are apples and oranges. Yes, Warwicks are quite heavy. However, the tone is absolutely amazing if you're looking for that exact tone. Yes, Spectors cut through the mix great and are lighter weight. But they seem to have a more well-rounded tone than their own tone. It all just comes down to what you are looking for; they're both equal instruments IMO.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Both have not so good resale values.

I've seen Std Vettes go for $500 to $600 and Rebops for maybe $100 more.

Perhaps you could go used and get both? :D

I like both these basses. They have an aggressive vibe like my Music Men. I just got a Warwick $$. It is a very versatile monster of a bass for the $$ (pun intended)

13. stinkyfingers

stinkyfingers

Feb 10, 2008
    Jersey
    I was in the same dilemma about 2 months ago and went with a Euro Spector. Now I can't believe I was considering the Warwick. The Warwicks ARE nice, but I think the Spectors are a step up for about the same price.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    That's funny. When I bought my Vette 5 string $$, it was between the Euro and the Vette standard. I wound up getting an insane deal on my $$ so I went with that instead. Haven't regretted a thing.

15. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Another vote for Spector. 'Wicks are nice, but way too much muddiness in the lows for me. Spectors are nice and clear all the way down to low B. Quality on European Spectors is second-to-none in the price range. They are very ergnomic too. Both basses have tight string spacing and a beefy neck, but the Wick is both tighter and beefier than the Spector. I think you'll be happier with the Spector.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Do you have full sleeve tats?
    Do you have a beard that you braid?
    Do you wear shorts that reach half way between your knee and ankle?
    Do you rarely shower?
    Do you have a tough nickname, like "Meat", or "Fang"?
    Does your singer sound like the Cookie Monster?
    Do you overuse the word "growl"?

If you can answer no to any of these, then you want the Spector, not the Warwick. If you answer yes to all questions, then get the Warwick.

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Rolf@post.

Yeah, if you're into Nu metal maybe the Warwick would be a better choice.

18. reverb508

reverb508

Jan 6, 2008
    haha, I guess I'm a Spector guy. But seriously, I think I'm going to get the Spector solely because it seems as though it cuts better. I also like the fact that its not nearly as recognizable as a Warwick. I don't want to get mugged in downtown Providence after a gig. Then again, that depends on how discriminating the thief is.

19. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    +1. ive never been a fan of corvettes, but thumbs and streamers are teh balls

20. FretlessArt

FretlessArt

Jan 24, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have owned both the 4 string Euro Spector with EMG PJ pick ups. and the Warwick Infinity SN. The Spector plays faster because it is a shorter scale and it is lighter. The Warwick Infinity sounds absolutly Increadible. It's got huge balls, and it is very versital for recording.

I would pick the Spector over the Corvette, but would take the Infinity over the Spector.

Perhaps the apple to apple choices would be the Spector VS. the Streamer.