Spector ReBop5DLX EX question ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Feb 21, 2010.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
  2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I think they are clearing out the old stock on the zebrano tops. They are being replaced with zebrano-topped Rebops that have a see-thru black stain finish.

Those are a steal for $900 IMO. Preamp is not the best, but it is definitely usable.

3. Oh man that is a nice bass for the price! I had the same bass in a four string and it was the best looking and most comfortable bass I have owned. Like a fool I sold it and have wished for it back several times. If I had the cash right now I would jump on one at that price!

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    How would you say the ReBop compares to the MTD Kingston Z? Both import 5-string bolt-on 35" scale basses.

+ Kingston Z - asemmetric neck and I've actually played one and really liked.

+ Rebop - Made in Czech Repubic (if you play violin, then you know of their workmanship). PLUS, marked down from $2,099 to $899. Is less really more?

5. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    I don't think they ever sold for $2,099 (that was list not "street") but $899 is a great deal.
    The construction and finish on mine is spectacular for the price and it has an awesome aggressive tone and great B string. The Czech craftsmanship is basically flawless. The neck on mine fits so snug in the pocket you can't even slip a piece of paper in there.

I haven't played the MTD so can't compare.

Mine is a touch neck heavy (just heavy, not divey) but ultralight tuners help and I no longer notice it at all. Another plus is how, if you are so inclined, you can swap out for wide array of EMG pickups and electronics if you want a different sound. I have no issues with either the pickups or the pre-amp now that I have had it for a while and am loving the tone.

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for the info, guys. Here's another question for you, how's the string spacing? I trust its not as tight as, say, an Ibanez SR 5. Is there much room to romp? Slap?

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Oh, and one other thing. Is the back of the neck glossy like the body or is it more of the smoother, satin-like variety. Thanks!

8. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Back of the neck on mine is very satiny. String spacing is 17mm IIRC. Not as tight as an Ibanez SDGR or Warwick 5er, but still pretty tight. I have no issues slapping, but I did have to adjust my technique at first. I'm not sure its that much different of an adjustment when compared to a lot of other 5ers. But, if you have to have 19mm, the Rebop, and Spectors in general, might not be the bass for you.

Also, the Rebop has never sold for $2099. That might be the MSRP, but I have never seem listed for more $1300-1400. Quality-wise, they compare favorably with other basses in that price range IME. For under $1000 new, they are a steal.

9. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Get it!
    I have one and it's a KILLER bass in any way! (looks, sound, playability)

10. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Do it!

IMG_3053.jpg

11. Yup - I'm a touch befuddled at this move, as covering up a nice exotic top that contains a good amount of dark-colored wood with a black stain (and Spector's black stain can be pretty heavy-handed and "dye out" a large amount of the figuring) triggers the "Whaa?!?" impulse in my brain. But then I realize that as nice as the "ZeBops" are and how much they tonally kill, the *average* top's figuring wasn't amazing and that this might be a way to work around the average tops they're getting and increase sales of the models. I'm just happy I managed to pick up a 4 & 5 with fabulous tops, which is the positive side of buying used... the ability to pick 'n choose. :D

...and yes, "$2099" is indeed the MSRP, but Street price before the discontinuation of it was still $1469.99 - that's over a 1/3rd drop in price for the same NEW bass (no refurbs, returns or used... yet) that is indeed a really great price, if not an absolute steal at that level. When I compare this @ $899 to other basses at the same pricepoint, I almost feel sorry for them. ;) The "TonePump Jr." preamp is hardly awful, BTW (especially since they added the internal trimpot to lower the Output Level) but consider at this price you can easily toss in an Aguilar OBP-2 or EMG preamp and still find yourself way ahead of the game in that regard.

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Nice! Do you have another shot of the back? I'd like to get a look at that three-piece neck. And the back of the body is arched a bit for those well-endowed in the belly area, right?

Thanks!

13. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Its amazing bang for buck. It seemed too good to be true which is why I started this thread. I'll never be able to find a Euro 5er in my neck of the woods to at least get an idea what they play like. However I may be able to find a Korean model. I know it will sound different, but would a Korean bolt-on at least give me an idea what a Europ bolt-on neck would feel like?

Thanks!

14. So did you order one? I just clicked the link again and apparently they are all gone!:(

15. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah, I think I missed the boat at MF. I think Music 123 may have them at discount as well.

16. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
  17. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I think the guy on that other thread is confused. That bass was not listed for $300. Hell, I would have ordered 2 of them and yanked the fretts out of one if that were the case! There's more zebra Rebop 5s out there, just not at MF. Rats.

18. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Apparently not.
    Another guy in another thread in the "Hot Deals" section just got the last one from Musician's Friend for.....$299.99.

Last one...$299.99...that's just sick. :crying:

19. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    If I had a gun, I'd shoot myself!

20. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hey! $29.99 over at NRA's Friend and.......oh, sorry. :(
    I'll send you mine after I do me. :eyebrow:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021