Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fishsome, Dec 18, 2003.

1. fishsome

fishsome

Dec 17, 2003
    Chicagoland Area
    I currently have a Music Man Stingray. I once had a Spector NS2000-Q4 that i really enjoyed but that was a long time ago. Now im a little older and a little wiser, i was thinking of getting a spector 5 sting in the sometime future. my question is it worth it? And how does it compare to a Stingray? Also what are your thoughts on Modulus vs Spector in price and quality. thanks for your time

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    IMO if it feels good to you and you really want a Spector then you don't need our opinions. However, seeing as you asked :D , I would probably be tempted by the Spector myself. The Modulus would also be tempting. I think both are good but in different ways.

There are more qualified people who can make the comparisons for you. So I won't go further than I already have.

Dan :bassist:

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Spectors are great! I'd recommed a Rebop5 or Euro, to me they feel much better than the Q5, and are made with better materials. But if liked the Q series Spectors you will love the higher end models.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I just got my new Euro 4 Amber and it is the shiznet!

5. fishsome

fishsome

Dec 17, 2003
    Chicagoland Area
    thannks, but isnt the higher-end spector models pretty pricey?? Im not looking to spend A LOT of money on a bass seeing how i already have on my Stingray. (not saying that i wouldnt want one of those spectors, they look hot)

6. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    How much are you looking to spend? The Rebop is supposed to be real nice too. I just like the neck-thru sound and sustain.

7. A Euro series is a good upper-mid price. They are awesome basses! A euro spector is in my list of possible basses to buy for the spring.

8. I recommend a Spector Euro5. It is at least as good a bass as a StingRay5 (two pretty different beasts, though) and just a little bit more pricey. I got mine from Gard at Bass Central for a great price!

I have no experience with Modulus, though, but they seem mighty fine, too.

9. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The Spector Czech made basses are really nice. Check the Spector
    site, you'll see that the components of the Euro basses are very much like the US models. They get final setup in the US shop too (usually by Stuart himself, I believe).

Also, as far as pricing, most dealers will charge around 70% of list. Again, browse the Spector site and check the list price and do the math from there. This way you'll at least have a yardstick to go by when you start shopping.

Tom

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Without knowing how much you can afford, I'll tell you the resale value on US Spectors is terrible. That could be a big bonus for someone in the market for one...;)

As far as my opinion on Modulus vs. Spector: I traded a Modulus Quantum IV for a US Spector NS-4. I found the Modulus was tight and very focused, but isn't quite my cup of tea. I thought, even with Barts, it sounded a little sterile. To me, the Spector is a little better...

11. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Why is the resale value so bad?

maybe you should look at a ns20005, which is like the q5, but neck-though, and i itnhk better hardware, and maybe pickups.

12. ive owned i thin 7 spectors (no us models) mostly ns2000 neck thru 4 and 5 strings, 1 2000 q4, and 1 rebop... they are all nice basses (aside from the q4 which didnt compare at all the the neck thru version) but NONE of them compare to a stingray... the rebop was a great bass but it had too thick of a neck for me and it just wasnt as versitile as a stingray... it blew away the 2000 series but a trick i learned is that with a fishman model b or a sadowsky outboard preamp you can get the same sound as a rebop from your ns2000... based on that id say that the rebop isnt worth the money if you paid retail... i stole mine for $400 shipped off ebay... i just got a peavey millennium 4 string yesterday and right off the bat i like it better than any of the spectors that i had (and it wasnt any more expensive than my most expensive spector)... the ability to change the sound of the bass with all the friggin knobs is awesome... i still havent figured out exactly what is what but i would definately reccommend you trying a millennium 5 string, its a terrific bang for the buck and better than any of the spectors that ive played (still have yet to play a us specor or a neck thru czech)

13. oh yeah, i forgot to mention, the rebop had serious neck dive issues because its body is super light so it can be annoying to play on a strap depending on how you position it

14. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Leather straps work wonders. My new Czech seems to be weighted just right.

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    My Rebop5 is wonderfully balanced!

16. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I liked the sound of my two 5 string Korean Spectors...but I invested a couple hundred dollars in active EMGs and upgraded the pickups in my neck through, and it sounds even better now!:D

17. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    They don't make the ns2000 neck-thrus anymore. Spector told me that the Rebops sold really well when they came out, and they decided it was to replace the ns2000's. My opinion = bunk.:spit:

I had a NS2000 neck-thru four string and loved how it played. Sounded like crap with the EMG-HZ's, but it played wonderfully! That's just me.

--Matthew

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There's a topic for conversation!:hyper:

IMO, Stuart shot himself in the foot by coming out with imports that are so close in design to his US model.

Here's my logic: a used bass, in mint condition, typically sells for roughly 1/2 it's original list price. That would mean US Spectors, like mine, would sell for around $3,000 used. Why would someone want to spend that on a used bass when they could buy a Czech Spector brand new that plays as almost as well and sounds as almost as good (perhaps as good) for around 1/2 that?:confused:

I would never buy another Spector, and that's largely the reason why. But, that's a story for another thread.

I don't want to take anything away from Spector basses, as I think Stuart does a great job in building! His basses are extremely consistent, set up very well, and IMO, play exceptionally well. In fact, according to him, he personally sets up every Spector sold, even the entry-level imports!;)