Spending JB's money...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jb6884, Mar 13, 2006.

1. jb6884

Jan 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Ok guys - I just blew my Ampeg BA210.. somehow, and luckily it got me through the entire last gig, but by the 2nd set I knew it was going. I play in a Bluegrass band, and we play some pretty noisy bar situations. I have no idea why the ampeg blew because it seemed at first like I wasn't really driving it that hard. This was actually my first gig with it. I bought it used from a friend, so I have no idea if it just was on it's last leg anyways or if I did something... I wasn't real happy with the sound anyways.

So, now the fun part. I am going to spend up to 1000 in order to get something reliable, powerful, decent tone, and relatively light weight. The ampeg was a beast (76 pounds), and I would like something lighter. I've read most of the threads in this post, and I have a pretty good idea of what is available. One thing I would like to comment on is that most of the DB players here don't seem to be concerned with volume as much as tone - but they are equally important to me. I'm not looking to get studio quality sound, but something nicer than the ampeg for sure for DB.

I basically have about 2 weeks until I'll need an amp again - so I have very little time.

I have only played through a handful of amps
    GK 700RB 210 combo (too heavy- over 80lbs)
    Eden CXC112
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout (12")
    Phil Jones Bass Suitcase (can't afford :( )

I really liked the Mesa Boogie, although just slightly out of my price range. I may be able to scrape for the difference if there's no other options.

By the way, I use a K&K BassMax + Golden Trinity with K&K Pro ST preamp. In those noisy bar gigs I just turn the golden trinity all the way down to avoid feedback, so 70% of the time, I'm just running the bassmax.

That's all I know.. so please help, make recommendations... sell me your dream rig, etc.. :bassist:
  2. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I've been amp-less for quite a while, not by choice exactly, but if I were to go out and get something from the choices your provided, I'd get the Boogie. I've been wondering about those for quite a while, but had yet to play through one.