Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spending JB's money...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jb6884, Mar 13, 2006.

1. jb6884

jb6884

Jan 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Ok guys - I just blew my Ampeg BA210.. somehow, and luckily it got me through the entire last gig, but by the 2nd set I knew it was going. I play in a Bluegrass band, and we play some pretty noisy bar situations. I have no idea why the ampeg blew because it seemed at first like I wasn't really driving it that hard. This was actually my first gig with it. I bought it used from a friend, so I have no idea if it just was on it's last leg anyways or if I did something... I wasn't real happy with the sound anyways.

So, now the fun part. I am going to spend up to 1000 in order to get something reliable, powerful, decent tone, and relatively light weight. The ampeg was a beast (76 pounds), and I would like something lighter. I've read most of the threads in this post, and I have a pretty good idea of what is available. One thing I would like to comment on is that most of the DB players here don't seem to be concerned with volume as much as tone - but they are equally important to me. I'm not looking to get studio quality sound, but something nicer than the ampeg for sure for DB.

I basically have about 2 weeks until I'll need an amp again - so I have very little time.

I have only played through a handful of amps
    GK 700RB 210 combo (too heavy- over 80lbs)
    Eden CXC112
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout (12")
    Phil Jones Bass Suitcase (can't afford :( )

I really liked the Mesa Boogie, although just slightly out of my price range. I may be able to scrape for the difference if there's no other options.

By the way, I use a K&K BassMax + Golden Trinity with K&K Pro ST preamp. In those noisy bar gigs I just turn the golden trinity all the way down to avoid feedback, so 70% of the time, I'm just running the bassmax.

That's all I know.. so please help, make recommendations... sell me your dream rig, etc.. :bassist:

2. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I've been amp-less for quite a while, not by choice exactly, but if I were to go out and get something from the choices your provided, I'd get the Boogie. I've been wondering about those for quite a while, but had yet to play through one.