1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spinal Tap Moments

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by lizardking837, Apr 6, 2009.

1. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Share your gig stories akin to the movie Spinal Tap in this thread.

A few weeks back, I was doing a gig in my High School's gym. We asked them to turn the lights above us off just for our show, they said they couldn't due to fire code, however, less than a second after we finished up the lights above us got shut off.

2. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i've never had a spinal tap moment while gigging but my baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo

3. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    I'd like to sink her with my pink torpedo

4. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    the looser the waistband, the deeper the quick sand

5. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    My band once played on the same bill as a puppet show ... we got top billing though. If the sign had read "Puppet Show and Narcissy" it would have really hurt.

6. chunkylover73

chunkylover73

Feb 1, 2009
    Canada
    My band is on drummer number five and he's leaving in a couple of months.

7. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    Yeah, but have any of them choked on someone else's vomit?

When I was sixteen I built my own flash pots for my brother's band. There were many mistakes in the development; I set my mother's porch on fire.

There were even more in the execution of the flashpots at shows; including having a small club evacuate.

Thank goodness I never hurt anyone...seriously.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    They don't finger print for vomit, how would you know it was someone elses?

9. You have seen the movie This is Spinal Tap right??

10. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    I think his reply was a paraphrased line from the movie; so I think he has.

11. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    The guitarist of my old band wanted to transpose a song about a dead friend to Dm. We never let him live it down.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It is the saddest of all the keys.

13. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Exactly. He didn't get why we were laughing at him (at first).

14. rouge127

rouge127

Apr 2, 2007
    Columbus OH
    My band played at the Air Force academy in Colorado Springs a couple of years back. We arrived to find out the Sound Engineer had no P.A set up for us. He thought we were bringing it! He was able to mix and match some speakers, found a mixing board..(Not enough channels), and some crappy monitors. At this point, all the "cadets" started to enter the hall we would be playing in. The sound engineer decided to "test" the P.A at this point. The feedback was intense!!! Everybody there, including us, had their fingers in their ears wincing in pain. He finally got that figured out after about 5 minutes. Finally the show was going to start! As we were walking on to the stage, my keyboard player tripped over the cable to my Chapman stick sending it crashing to the floor. I had to retune the damn thing in complete silence with everyone staring at me. I totally felt like I was in Spinal Tap at that gig.

15. Ozonbass

Ozonbass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Chicago
    Played a huge fund raiser for Misericordia in Chicago with a bluegrass band. We played the childrens tent and basically opened for the Ronald McDonald Magic Show...a very humbling experience for a very good cause. We laughed and then drank.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Too many to count. Girlfriends "taking over" bands. Showing up at dozens of venues where we just didn't belong. I guess that's why I'm a hired gun now. It's all somebody else's problem. I show up, play, get payed, go home, loose no sleep.

17. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    But this one goes to eleven!

18. there was a miscommunication for my churches band and we had a rehearsal with three bass players and no guitar. does that count? we didn't play big bottom. even though we all joked about it. :D

19. Not band related, but with today's economy and my almost complete lack of success recently selling body's to company's, I have begun practicing for my next day gig...
    I tell my clients this and give them this example:
    "uhm... yes I do believe we have that shoe in a Canary Yellow, four inch pump... "
    Heck, if Nigel could do it, so could I!
    Fishheadjoe

20. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    it's called lick my love pump