Spirocore Users Please Help.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Polyanski, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Polyanski

Mar 16, 2004
    West Michigan
    Again. Sorry for new thread.
    After lowering action to a 8mm on G and 8mm on E Got Buzz on G string (Ab-C) . Scale lenght 41.1/4 (Spirocore orchestra both ends are Red)
    Is that to low for Spiros or this is my fingerboard?
    Thank You!
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This is your fingerboard, and likely your setup in general. Right now, I've got a set on that's sitting at 6mm on the G and 9mm on the E. What sounds strange about your string heights is that your bridge is cut in a way that doesn't allow for greater clearance on the lower strings. Normally the measurement for the E is greater than the measurement for the G by a couple of mm or more. At any rate, 8mm should be plenty of clearance for the G string with Red Spiros. Sounds like you're due for a fingerboard dressing. Know a good luthier?
  3. Polyanski

Mar 16, 2004
    West Michigan
    Thanks Chris.
    The reason why I've got 8mm on both sides is because I moved bridge towards treble side just a bit to get more clearance.I just moved it back and raised action ,but still buzzin.((
    I know luthier in Lansing MI @ Marshall Music .He installed Full circle on my bass.His name Bruse Zarka.
  4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    From the information in your post, it sounds like you need to get the fingerboard planed. The length of the upright bass fingerboard is not flat; there is a slight hollow or "camber" in the board. Some new, lower priced basses have no camber. Some are even convex, which makes playing damn near impossible.

In addition, wood shrinks and swells witht the seasons, and from time to time the fingerboard needs to be planed to get it back to an even, lightly hollowed surface.

Hope this helps.
  5. Polyanski

Mar 16, 2004
    West Michigan
    I am going to see Luthier Tomorrow.
    Thank You Guys!
  6. Polyanski

Mar 16, 2004
    West Michigan
    What a relief! Took Him four hours to finish the job. But result is Great. I love my bass again. What a great Guy didn’t even charged me at all... (I bout this bass 3 months ago from that store) Now my action is about 7-9 mm. He only dressed G and D parts of a fingerboard; mostly G .The neck was almost flat, so He deepened it 1mm or less. So far, I am Happy.