1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SPIROCORES ARE SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jason Sypher, Feb 27, 2011.

1. heh heh

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I hope you feel better now.

3. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    BEST ARCO STRING EVAR

bskts247 likes this.
  4. Sustain for days! I played an entire ballad the other night with one note! The leader turned around afterwards and said "what do you call that'? I said, a pedal tone!

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    that's the funniest thing I've read all week

Dick Lont and Randy Ward like this.
  6. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    Love it!:D

7. I'm in.

8. That is so funny! I almost believe it because I done that many times during a ballad when I held one note for ages and sounded great. I am a Spiro Mittels freak I couldn't care if the rest of the string industry closed down, last year I spent lot of money to see if any of the other strings come anywhere near but they don't! I know for a fact that that some top player only use other strings because they signed contract and get paid promoting particular strings. Of course there are many other good strings out there but for me Spirocore is a benchmark that will not likely to be beaten. Funny but at the moment my gut string fetish kicked in but that is a whole different ball game. As for steel strings Spirocore is the champ.

9. In for the win.
    B.

10. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    How many other strings can you say have a larger used market than new?!

11. That's what I thought. I have a great set of Mittels for sale right now that is less than half-price and not a soul has contacted me about them! But the guts and the Garbos went within and hour of posting the ad!

12. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    That's because everyone already has a set of used spiros in their drawer.

13. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Oh god how true that is. Its like a hoarding sickness, it just feels wrong to throw them away....

14. like an old stinky cheese, they just get better with age!

15. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    Krivo Pickups - uncompensated endorser
    I might be jumping back on the spiro bandwagon. As much as I like the (Gamut) gut sound and some of the feel, I cannot find lowers I'm happy with and they respond too slowly. My main original music project has started going in a more modern direction, so I'm beginning to miss the ability to cut through on stage. I've also been playing with the bow a lot, and I love sprios arco. I'm thinking maybe the solos so I can jack them up and lose the mwah that I didn't like during my last tour of duty with weichs.

Man, the idea of being a well adjusted spiro guy who never thinks about his strings would help out my finances so, so much. :eek:

16. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I'll share in the Spiro love. IMO, they're the second best steel string ever! :)

17. This is my goal....and, so far so good. It hurt to take off the guts but I find that I get to the bass in the morning and I feel good. They're exactly in tune and they play evenly across the board. They're strong and clear. I don't feel like I need to examine them or even think about them. And they play the same today as they did yesterday.

18. No kidding. I got tired of the gut "mood swings" every time it rained, got warm, got cold or the humidity changed. All in the middle of a performance. Then I had to make sure they didn't fray or dry out. Talk about needy! Went back to simpler times before I contracted Stringitis. Spiro Weichs. I'm done.

19. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    Krivo Pickups - uncompensated endorser
    I just ordered a set of almost brand new solos. Off to the next episode. It will indeed be painful to remove/sell my beloved Gamuts, but I'm beginning to understand why most people just use steels. I mean, strings that bow better then me, stay in tune though nuclear winter, and never need to be changed? I'm sure I'll miss that gutty pizz, but I've played them for about a 9 months and I understand the sound at this point. When I need that vibe, I'll try to get it with my technique. If I had never tried gut though, I'd never know what to aim for in that regards. Even if this is the end of my gut chapter, it was time and money very well spent.

Honestly, the biggest issues I had with the spiro weich was the tension and the fact that the ones I had were 3+ years old. Some of my complaints might have been a setup issue with my bass or my own inefficiencies. Needless to say, I'm very excited to try them out again now that I'm further along.

20. lowEndRick

lowEndRick Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    LOL, I have 3 sets in the draw and I am still always tempted to buy another used set when they come up in the classifieds.