Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SPL and sensitivity

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pedroferreira, Feb 9, 2004.

1. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Cab A sensitivity - 100dB
    Cab B sensitivity - 103dB

If you're delivering x Watts into cab B, you have to double the power (Watts) to get the same SPL from Cab A.

Am I right?

2. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    You are correct, sir.

3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    In theory that is correct.

In practice it is Hogwash.

In actual A/B testing with the same amp at the same settings:
    I have heard a 98db rated cab smoke at 104db cab in volume & tone.

Use your ears.

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Lets say cab A is 8ohms and cab B is 4ohms with the same watts, does that make them both equal in sensitivity, in theory?

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No. It means that a SS amp will probably be able to deliver more power (watts) into one than into the other, but that's not at all the same thing.

Sensitivity is typically given as dB measured at a distance of 1 meter with an input of 1 watt. For the sensitivity figure to have any meaning, the distance and the input have to be the same.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If only there was an independent source to measure all these goosed-out, tricked-up, measurements from those with a financial interest....maybe like a "Consumers Report" magazine for gear. :meh:

7. These numbers are called "small signal" values, and only have meaning at small power levels, i.e 1 watt.

One watt is more meaningful than 2.83 volts, because wattage is independent of the speaker load. For example, 2.83 volts into an 8 ohm speaker is 1 watt, but 2.83 volts driving a 4 ohm speaker is 2 watts.

Most sensitivity ratings are measured where they most benefit the manufacturer, typically 1,000 Hz. This is bullsh*t, because as a bassist, my primary focus is 40 to 200 Hz. The sensitvity here is a huge amount less. The only meaningful specs are plots of actual measurements taken across the useful frequency spectrum.

Bass drivers are severely limited in the amount of power they can accept, due to cone excursion limits. Typically, the voice coils will accept far higher power than the limits of excursion. Just because a driver is rated at 700 watts before meltdown, does not mean that driver will accept 700 watts without destroying the cone. Cone excursion is not a factor at 1,000 Hz, which is another convenient reason for taking SPL measurements here.

8. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Thank's for the replys:

Just to clear things up:

I'm comparing two cabs from the same manufacturer. :D