Splitting signal question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheSeabass16, Jul 25, 2013.

1. TheSeabass16

TheSeabass16

Feb 20, 2013
    Miami
    Hello all, I have one question for you regarding signal splitting. I'm trying to split my signal into one clean, with the bass all the way up, and another signal with the treble and mids all the way up, and with my effect pedals running through them to get a full tone.

Between a Peavey Mark IV head and a GK 700RB, which one do you think should be getting each signal???

I'm currently running the 700RB through a 410 cab all clean with the lows all the way up, but I've heard that GK gear is really good to accentuate highs and mids.

Depending on the feedback I get, I would purchase the necessary cab for the Mark IV head.

Thank you very much for the input!!

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The GK's do a nice grindy mid/high. That said, it takes a lot more power and speakers to put out clean lows than it does mids/highs. I'd use the most powerful amp and the biggest/loudest speaker on the low side and the smaller amp and smaller speaker on the high side.

If that means buying more gear, first try running your GK fullrange into your 410 with the Boost turned up and your pedal in front of it first. See if that gets you anywhere close to what you're looking for.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    On your low amp, it isn't so much about turning the bass all the way up, you can blow speakers doing that, it's about turning the mids and highs down.

Conversely, on the high amp, it isn't about cranking mids and highs up for the same reason, it's about turning the bass down.

Before you ever start adding more of what you do want, rather start by taking away what you don't want, then tweak the rest of it.

Lots of great sounds to be had in a setup like that. Just take some time and experiment with it. To get that tone to translate to a PA system, you can take a DI from the low side, but insist on a 57 or other decent microphone on the high side speakers.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to will33's suggestions. "Cranking the lows" is a recipe for blowing your spkrs. Read the faq's and stickies to understand how eq works, and wattage, impedance, etc.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021