Splitting signal then merging for a single output

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by spoonie, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Hoping you can help! What I’d like to do is run a single amp from a single bass, but split the bass signal in half so that I can always have a clean channel running underneath the effects.

So it’s go bass>tuner>compressor

Then from the compressor I’d like to split the signal and have one completely clean and one which goes through my pedals (synth>octave>bass balls>fuzz>drive>wah)

Then at the end id like to merge the two (wet and dry) signals back together to feed into a single amp. For this bit I suspect that a Boss LS2 would work well, but I’m not sure now to split the signal in the first place.

Any ideas? Also, is there anything I’m missing that it’d be worth considering? Will the signals need boosted? Is noise likely to be an issue? Keen to make the most of the collective wisdom in here!

Thank you!

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    There are several Blend pedals available including:
    • Boss LS-2 Line Selector
    • Xotic X-Blender
    • One Control Mosquite Blender
    • Radial Mix Blender
    • Carl Martin Paraloop
    • Barge Concepts DVB-2 Dual Blender
    • MBS Parallel Universe Blender
    • Wounded Paw Effects Loop Blender V3
    • ZCat Blender Looper
    I use a Bass Paralooper (made by Talkbass member moosapotamus)

Some Bass Preamp pedals have a loop with a blend control also.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    I use and recommend the Mosquite. Make sure whatever you get has a phase invert switch, as some pedals can flip the polarity of the soundwave so that it cancels out with the dry signal making things go really quiet or just sound a bit odd (and a surprisingly high number of pedals do this). If you have a long chain of effects that you want to constantly blend with your dry signal then also bear the following in mind:
    • If just one of your pedals in the loop inverts phase and it's one that you like to stomp on and off (like a boost), then you will be kinda screwed unless you remove it from the loop entirely and place it before or after it.
    • Blending digital pedals isn't a good idea unless they are time-based effects with an analog dry-through (like Strymon and TC pedals). Digital pedals delay your signal by a few milliseconds, so blending that with a non-delayed signal results in comb-filtering effects like a flanger stuck at a fixed point of it's sweep.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  4. NailDriver

NailDriver

Dec 27, 2008
    WI
    I used to do what you are suggesting. I bought a Barge blender. Does exactly what you're trying to accomplish without as much futzing around.

5. Thanks for the responses! For the things you’ve suggested - these all seem to fix the blend problem, is that right?

Do any of them fix the problem of splitting the signal in the first place? That’s the bit I’m struggling with :)

NailDriver - would you mind talking me through how my setup would lookwith the Barge Blender included? Just trying to get my head around it!

6. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    DSM Noisemaker just recently released a blend pedal with an FX loop and built-in pre and post gain (+ a phase switch !) so you might want to have a look at it :
    dsm-noisemaker

If I get this correctly, you'd only need that one single pedal, which is always good news :)

spoonie likes this.
  7. Ooh, this looks like it might be just the ticket!! Thank you!!

8. NailDriver

NailDriver

Dec 27, 2008
    WI
    The blender is an effects loop with a knob to control how much effect is going into your clean signal. So I go:

Bass > wireless > tuner > blender > compressor > DI. The essentials. "Clean" path.
    In the loop: overdrive > chorus > delay.

I run the dial at about 2:00, with noon being 50/50 clean to effects and switch off effects as needed.

I always leave the switch (for the loop) on.

So I have a switchable effects loop with clean signal always underneath.

Useful when your dirt pedal has a HPF and cuts out the lows.

spoonie likes this.
  9. That sounds like just what I’m after! Really appreciate it, folks! Will have to do some digging now and see what I can find for sale!