Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Splitting Traces

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pierce, Jul 27, 2004.

1. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    I currently have a Trace Elliot 4x10 combo. The “head” is a Mark V, and the GP 11.

The head looks as though it could be easily removed from the cabinet as it “appears” to be rackmounted, put in a rack mount case, and used with an extension cab.

Has anyone had experience with this? :help:

2. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    bump

3. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    well, i would like to thank everyone who responded. clearly this is a well known subject, with a wealth of experience and information available. :scowl:

:p j/k'ing, dont no one get upset :p

seriously, it is possible to do this. it was actually amazingly easy. the gp11 preamp (front) is its own section, and is tied to the mark IV power amp (back) with a simple cable. i pulled it out, and then installed iot in my dr.bass 1260 airhead cab. it did require the addition of rear rack rails (which mark at drbass provided for me along with instructions) to support the power amp section. but it ended up working out real nice.

the problem i encountered was that the enclosure that it came out of must have had some shielding of some sort, b/c it will feed back if i set the bass agianst the cab. also, i have to be carefull plugging the power cord into the amp, b/c now the back panel is more flexible. there was a wood block in the trace that kept it from moving. it was also amazingly light (about 5-7 lbs total).

i will get some pictures of before during and after posted for any who are interested.

later.