Spraying on directly over a finished bass? (Squier CV Jazz)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcnach, Oct 24, 2011.

1. I like the Squier CV Jazz. Excellent bass for not much money.

White is cool.

But Fiesta Red would be killer.

Toying with the idea of getting one (white) and spraying it over. It already has a very smooth surface and I guess it was not an unusual procedure as a bunch of sunburst instruments ended up being resprayed by Fender back when.

having no experience of instrument finishes... I'm not sure whether I am miscalculating the effort involved. Would it work reasonably well if I use the existing finish as a base to build up on, rather than stripping and starting from scratch? (which I have no intention of doing).

2. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    You don't need to strip it, although I do when I refinish. If you want to strip it, you can use paint stripper or use a sander (I use a small oscillator).

If you don't want to strip it, you need to sand it a bit so that the paint has something to stick to. Also make sure you give it enough time to breathe or it will end up not being solid. And when you put it on a stand or something, you will get marks (very annoying).

3. Just remember that you're painting over what is really surfboard resin (polyester) and adherence to it is not something that can be guaranteed unless you've been able to get the right kind of paint.

Do I read between the lines that you believe that there is a sunburst finish under that paint/polyester?

May not be so, as I'm not too sure that they'd do that.

Maybe so though.

I'm not sure.

I think.

Maybe.

Or not.

BTW: if you don't use the standard urethane stand rubber and instead use neoprene (fuel line) , it won't stain or adhere to the finish.

4. Been there and done this a few times. Wouldn't recommend it. Before I'd try to refinish one of those rock hard finishes again I'd buy another body and swap it out. Fender type bodies can be gotten for cheap on Ebay.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Save yourself some work; play it and enjoy it as is. If you want a different look, change the pickguard.

6. I just realised I never updated this!!!

I sprayed the bass, in Capri Orange! It came out pretty nice. I'll post pictures B-)

7. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    If you are keen to spray, start on a new body such as alder. That way you save a lot of grief and stand to end up with a more satisfying result.

8. It was very easy!
    Done three years ago :)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021