Spyware link

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sshorepunk, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Hi
    Has anyone got a link to somewhere I can get a free spyware, adware remover, I've been hammered with this crap in the last few days!
  2. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    go to www.ad-aware.de
    look for ad-aware personal SE and download the current version.
  3. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    What's with the two s' in your name laddie??
    Spyware doctor is the best program.
  4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Mebbe he/she's a South Shore punk?

Here's a good spyware removal link: --> www.apple.com ;)
  5. Thars the one, south shore punk, 'cos when I ain't playing bass, I'm out kitesurfing at South Shore, Blackpool here in the UK, and in a previous decade, I pissed my parents off when I bought "Never mind the Bollocks"

Thanks for the links BTW, sorted!
  6. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002

Boooooo, hehe. What's up Dave.
  7. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You can grt Ad-aware, Spybot-Search and Destroy, Zonealarm and Firefox from www.cnet.com. Go to the download page. Just don't download any of the stuff they (Cnet) recommend.
  8. apple :D

anyways, i highly recommend spybot search and destroy. in my experiencese its the best by far, as it always runs in the background (optional) to keep the stuff off your cpu.
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    and for those of us that cannot afford the hardware and/or need to run Windows apps

another good spyware prevention link: --> http://www.mozilla.org/
  10. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Yes, mozilla is teh shizznizzle if you must work on PC. Anything but IE will save you from most crap that comes through IE.
  11. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I use a combination of hijackthis, ad-aware, and spybot. In addition, I have a link on my desktop for the add or remove programs dialog from the control panel. I often find a program has been installed that I did not install. Sometimes you can not uninstall them and you have to wait for an update to ad-aware for them to disappear.

I had problems with Norton Internet Security after the Windows Service Pack 2 upgrade, so I uninstalled it and have not yet reinstalled it, but it found many things on my computer that it could not delete. Then it gives you a link to their website were you can get instructions to remove the listed problem.

This is an uphill battle. Ad-aware and Spybot are easy because they do it for you, but they do not delete everything. You have to work with hijackthis and Norton to determine what to delete and what to keep, and with Norton, some of the instructions are difficult.

If you know what your problem is, search in google for "remove _______" and you will be shown several sites that have instructions on how to remove that particular problem.

Set aside some time to search the web on these topics. Dig in. It's gonna be a long fight.

12. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'll get on the ad-aware bandwagon... it works well for me...
  13. adaware doesnt find anything for me, yet i turn around and run spybot and voila, it finds 5 or 6 things that adaware didnt
  14. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    If you're running Win2K or XP, you should set up a non-administrator web-surfing account that doesn't have program install privileges. This should reduce / eliminate programs getting auto-installed while you aren't looking.