1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squarepusher / Tom Jenkinson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lackey, Jan 1, 2017.

1. I Know Squarepusher - I Like Him

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. I Know Squarepusher - I Dislike Him

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I Don't Know Squarepusher - But He Sounds Interesting

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. I Don't Know Squarepusher - But He Sounds Awful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This is just a random exposure thread - still blows me away how little known this guy is amongst bass players - especially on TB. Considering he's influenced the likes of Gary Willis and Matt Garrison. His recent LA set with his Shobaleader One live band is amongst the top 3 live performances I've seen in my entire concert going history. Oh and Juan from The Mars Volta was literally standing right next to me in the crowd. Just saying.

....and of course his work as a supremely nuanced and layered IDM producer

zappatalist and ritz like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Squarepusher is a composer and visionary who happens to play bass. He has crazy chops, but they are not really featured. The downplaying of his chops and his love of electronica are why he has such a low profile on TB, in my opinion.

almost human, Rocker949 and Lackey like this.
  3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I get it, but on the other hand there are tons of bassists getting love here that aren't chops guys at all. I do also find it a bit weird that electronic music doesn't get very much traction here either. Ah well, just an observation, haha. A

4. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Funny, I was just thinking about Tom J/Squarepusher yesterday, for no particular reason (he just popped into my head and I wondered what he was up to). I think the majority of TB members are rockers with little interest in electronic music. Also, a lot of the electronic stuff that the average casual listener is exposed to is on the lowest common denominator end of the spectrum (which is not where Squarepusher resides) so that doesn't help foster interest in the electronic side of things.

Rocker949 and Lackey like this.
  5. almost human

almost human

Sep 30, 2010
    NYC
    Musician/composer/mad scientist all rolled into one. I don't like everything he does, but there's no denying his talent, or influence.

zappatalist, Dr. Cheese and Lackey like this.
  6. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    He's 100% beast whatever he does. For sure too eclectic for the masses.

almost human likes this.