1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squeezing a little more from the EBS T90

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fab Savage, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Hi All

I am currently playing an EBS T90 through a Bergantino 4x12.

I really love this setup and in particular I am a huge fan of the sweet overdrive that comes with pushing power tubes into clipping. This works well as I play alt rock (1 guitarist, drums and vocals, bass) and like a grittier tone.

Despite this, I find that at times I need just a fraction more clean volume. For example during quieter passages of play I find that even if I play with a lighter touch the tone is not quite clean.

I know 90w is not a lot to work with but if possible could I get some input as to how I might best remedy this. At the moment the breakup starts with the volume at 12.

Intuitively my thought would be to add more speaker area, however I thought there might be other (simpler) options that could also work, such as tube swapping.

For those who aren't familiar with the T90, it runs off 2x6550's and the preamp section has a 7025 for the input followed by an AT7 and then 2xAU7's.

Thankyou very much for any constructive input

Mike

2. I think that your only real option is another/different cab. That will increase your volume and you can get "clean" by dialing back on the volume knob of the bass.

Only an opinion.

3. +1

A more sensitive cab will get you louder with less of your volume dial.

4. Yeah thanks guys I figured more speakers would be the logical solution :crying:

OK so I need Bergantino to start making a 6x12 :bassist:

5. Just wire up two 4x12 in series for an 8 ohm load.

6. +1
    If your head has both a 4 and an 8 ohm tap, adding speakers this way will bump your volume.

7. A 3dB bump isn't worth carrying another 4x12 if you ask me.

Maybe the Mesa D180 would do it for you. Any amount of power tube distortion can be dialed in at any volume.

8. Great idea! Plus this can be done with a series speaker cable I believe? So no having to rewire the cabs.

Though I can just imagine rocking up at a local gig with 2 x 412's :

*thump as the sound guy faints and hits the floor after seeing the rig, followed shortly thereafter by *crunch as my spine compresses from trying to vertically stack two 110 pound cabs.:p

I like it!!

9. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Yay, another T90 owner :) I find I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I rarely get to really crank it. For a show in a small room I used the matching 4x10, and could barely get it to 3. :( My main cab the last few months has been an older Peavey 215 w/ new Eminence CB15s, and clean headroom has not been an issue. However, I have run it cranked, and frankly, it's not THAT loud, as compared to say my LM2. Maybe back off on the bass, unless you already tried that of course. I did some clips when I first got it and found the key to a good OD sound was (IMO) dumping both bass and treble and letting the mids take over. Due to the filter/ Baxandall style EQ, cutting both acts as a mid boost, while also preserving headroom due to the bass cut.

10. ^^what he said.

11. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    Im having the same exact trouble with the power section - 200W peavey VTA-400 ( 4X6550 ).
    Super sweet tone and even great with a little break up but once you get to a usable volume level for the bigger places. I dont think a diff cab, while making some impact will get you to where you want to be.

I'm thinking about if I should stay with tubes at this point.
    I like the tone I get when I push the same cab with 500 watts from plx1104. The tube tone is sweeter no question... but do I need to get a 400 watt tube amp?? I dont know if I want to haul that around.

12. Great advice regarding the bass and treble cut. I had thought that would work, but that it would end up dropping the volume anyways - so I wouldnt be better off in the end. Ill give it a whirl next rehearsal! But yes I know in the end 90W is 90W and I am proabably pressing my luck. I do have other options in terms of amps and wattage - for example I have a Marshall VBA400 which I can never get to break up because its too bloody loud!

I just really like the character of the T90. I think it was probably designed as more of a recording studio amp and less as a gigging amp for a loud rock band!

Not sure about the Peavey but see my post above -400W is really really loud (for me anyways). Its hard to find a balance between clean and break up with tube amps, but when you do...:bassist:

13. Some Marshalls can be run happily with half the power tubes removed. 200w would be the result, about the same as doubling up cabs, on paper, +3dB over your current setup.

14. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I haven't run out of steam with my Bassman 300 Pro yet. I've got a backup of a Mesa Buster 210, Ampeg B-12XTC, and B-15N with BT15 extension. It's taken me several years being the young'un I am but I've amassed a small army of tube amps that I really enjoy the tone of from low to high power. ;)

I always want to get more power out of my amps but it's usually not really feasible or cost effective if it is.

15. Thats a really interesting point. I ve emailed Marshall asking if this is possible with a VBA400...might be an alternative. I think as far as circuit quality goes though, the EBS has it in spades over the Marshall.

Yeah Im getting there, I have an Ashdown lil bastard as well which handles the 'dont piss off the neighbors' aspect of playing but I think I have a gap there to fill between 90W and 400W. The new switchable Mesa tube amp is probably designed to cover this kind of issue.

16. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Less volume drop than you'd think. And honestly it's not like it makes the sound overly nasal (to me). Dropping only the bass control maintains the nice grind up top, and since our ears hear midrange better than lows, apparent volume change isn't that big a deal.

Never bring a knife to a gunfight :) Having said that, I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing in a band where noon on this amp wasn't enough juice. With my 215, that top speaker is right where it needs to be for me to hear it properly. Gonna try it with a 210 on a tilt back stand next week, just for the sake of argument.

17. I find that at 11 o'clock I can hear myself, its just that its not clean as I d like. The Bergantino is very unidirectional though and it does depend where Im standing - In terms of perceived volume.

Please post your thoughts on adding a 2x10 to a 2x15 with the EBS!